How to Make Any Odd Meter Feel Like 4/4

drummerpig

In this lesson video, I demonstrate some crafty ways to disguise odd meters to allow your average listener to easily follow along.

If you can provide a solid quarter note and some kind of backbeat, listeners won't even realize they're grooving along to odd meters.

Transcriptions are available on my Patreon page ($5/month).

Feedback welcomed! Enjoy!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think Vinnie Colaiuta demonstrates this well on Stings’ song, “Love is stronger than justice”. But then again, it’s Vinnie ;)

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
In this lesson video, I demonstrate some crafty ways to disguise odd meters to allow your average listener to easily follow along.

If you can provide a solid quarter note and some kind of backbeat, listeners won't even realize they're grooving along to odd meters.

Transcriptions are available on my Patreon page ($5/month).

Feedback welcomed! Enjoy!
Those are pretty cool. Any idea where the 11 grouping might arise. It sounds out there like doo-ee-ewe space.

drummerpig

I think Vinnie Colaiuta demonstrates this well on Stings’ song, “Love is stronger than justice”. But then again, it’s Vinnie ;)
Yeah, Vinnie seems to always know the exact best thing to play for any given musical situation.

Those are pretty cool. Any idea where the 11 grouping might arise. It sounds out there like doo-ee-ewe space.
While you probably won't roll up to a gig and have a bandleader be like, "okay, superimpose a pattern of 11 16ths under a quarter note, but make it groove," it's more or less an exercise in phrasing kick and snare patterns underneath a right hand ostinato.

It's also a good creative tool for approaching odd meter grooves a little differently. I play in two progressive rock/fusion-type bands and I find myself using these types of patterns constantly to mask some of the odd meters we use. Here's an example where I'm playing a pattern of 19/16 on the kick under a straight backbeat. The kick matches with the bass and the rhythm guitar and the whole thing feels like it's in 4, but it's not.

So in short, no, something like the 11 grouping might not find you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't create a purpose for such a pattern.

Rock Salad

I love this. I had long suspected that odd meters lurk hidden in seemingly 4/4's.
I want to use this consciously. My goal is a little different though. I play straightforward rock and I would like to incorporate these in 4/4 songs as groove feels. I'm pretty sure that some kick shuffles I use are using 2×5's or something but just by feel.
What is a Super Easy one to start out with and how do I go about it?
Thanks for your video! that might be enough maybe.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I love this. I had long suspected that odd meters lurk hidden in seemingly 4/4's.
I want to use this consciously. My goal is a little different though. I play straightforward rock and I would like to incorporate these in 4/4 songs as groove feels. I'm pretty sure that some kick shuffles I use are using 2×5's or something but just by feel.
What is a Super Easy one to start out with and how do I go about it?
Thanks for your video! that might be enough maybe.
Tied quintuplets indeed are between a sixteenth and triplet, and it is surprising how nice they feel when you actually fill in the rest of the quintuplet subdivisions around them. Not at all unnatural. Though I prefer to think of them as a swing rather than a shuffle, because shuffle usually implies that the interval moves around a little bit, so it gets kind of squishy when you talk about it with folks, though its probably definitely a tied quintuplet sometimes.