How to make an unported bass head as quiet as possible?

Zaster

I’m swapping on an unported 22” head for a video shoot and I need it to be as quiet as possible. Normally I play a ported head with a pillow but this is just for looks (logo etc) for the video and I’m not concerned much with tone BUT I feel like if it’s too boomy I’ll get confused and mess up my parts. Anyone have tips for the quietest way to do this? Do I need the pillow? Can I just tune it a certain way? I left the pillow out and it’s pretty loose right now and it sounds crazy and floppy and wild and I’m just not used to that. Tips appreciated!

Last edited:
So I recently swapped out the ported Evans on my kick. I put a super kick II on the batter side and moved the modern vintage to the reso. The MV has the felt strip and the combo made the kick a lot more punchy, less boom. And I've nothing in the kick, wide open. That felt strip is impressive to say the least.

I’m swapping on an unported 22” head for a video shoot and I need it to be as quiet as possible. Normally I play a ported head with a pillow but this is just for looks (logo etc) for the video and I’m not concerned much with tone BUT I feel like if it’s too boomy I’ll get confused and mess up my parts. Anyone have tips for the quietest way to do this? Do I need the pillow? Can I just tune it a certain way? I left the pillow out and it’s pretty loose right now and it sounds crazy and floppy and wild and I’m just not used to that. Tips appreciated!
Gradually fill it up with pillows till it gets as quiet as you need?

Cotton balls taped to the inside edge of the head will shut it up a bit. More laundry in there would work too.

They should make a beater made out of foam for a really quiet experience. Maybe you can mod an spare beater you have

They should make a beater made out of foam for a really quiet experience. Maybe you can mod an spare beater you have

I actually have a foam beater! :O

Well, it's more of a spongy ball, ball essentially bouncy, quiet, and useless.

Simplest of all, remove the beater! I assume the video shoot is to the track?

I left the pillow out and it’s pretty loose right now and it sounds crazy and floppy and wild and I’m just not used to that.

Your above account is common. Pillows and other forms of internal muffling don't just control sustain and enhance focus; they affect the feel of the drum as well. If you like the response of a pillow in your bass drum, why not leave it in? Nothing says an unported bass has to be free of muffling. Set it up however you wish.

I actually have a foam beater! :O

Well, it's more of a spongy ball, ball essentially bouncy, quiet, and useless.

Simplest of all, remove the beater! I assume the video shoot is to the track?

I have one of those square foam beaters, but I wouldn’t want it in the video if the camera should happen to come by the side.

Your above account is common. Pillows and other forms of internal muffling don't just control sustain and enhance focus; they affect the feel of the drum as well. If you like the response of a pillow in your bass drum, why not leave it in? Nothing says an unported bass has to be free of muffling. Set it up however you wish.

I think I’ll do this. Thanks.

It wasn’t going to work to use any type of different front head since the band logo head was already printed but I happened to have a bunch of lightweight foam that came with a keyboard case so I stuffed it inside and it seems to do the trick! Thanks all for the advice!

Last edited:
If it’s just a video where nobody sees your feet and the music is already done why not just not play the bass drum? Take the pedal off and concentrate on looking good.

If it’s just a video where nobody sees your feet and the music is already done why not just not play the bass drum? Take the pedal off and concentrate on looking good.

Because there may be a side or above angle shot where you see my feet. I have no way of knowing!

An unported head isn't really "louder" than a ported head. You're just used to playing the drum with a pillow in it, so I'd say throw the pillow back in there. (Although it sounds like the foam is working for you, too.)

Back