How to handle this situation

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Why does protecting them mean "making something up"?

Why not just try to renegotiate YOUR OWN terms?

It's the sort of thing people have to do in the real world every single day of the week. I don't get why it's so hard in this situation. Not every employee is paid the same rate in the business world. People determine what they think they're worth and either accept the terms of contract or look elsewhere.

Why not just tell him YOU don't think YOU'RE being paid what YOU'RE worth and would like to talk about a greater slice of the pie or you'll have to consider moving on? I just can't possibly see how or why you have to bring your friends into this at all anyway. The reality is that this is about your agreement with the band leader, no one else.

I wuld like to ensure that my friends actually still have thier gigs.

It's nt a case of negotiating my slice and like I said before the other guys in the band were told to keep the fact I was being paid less on these few gigs a secret from me.

IF i bring up that they told me he then comes down hard on them and with his track record would sack them.

If it was a negotiation thing at the start and they worked out more then that;s cool and I should try for more but they didn't. they just randomly got give extra and to keep quiet about it.

My plan will be to do gigs till end of year (paid in cash always) then talk to him and say I've got the offer of better paid gigs next year with other bands and I'm going to take them to maximise my earnings.

OR something to that effect

Dave

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I wuld like to ensure that my friends actually still have thier gigs.

It's nt a case of negotiating my slice and like I said before the other guys in the band were told to keep the fact I was being paid less on these few gigs a secret from me.

IF i bring up that they told me he then comes down hard on them and with his track record would sack them.
But why in the name of god would you even need to mention................

In fact, it doesn't matter. Clearly I'm missing something here.

Best of luck mate. I'm sure you'll sort it out one way or another.

Dave_Major

Silver Member
But why in the name of god would you even need to mention................

In fact, it doesn't matter. Clearly I'm missing something here.

Best of luck mate. I'm sure you'll sort it out one way or another.
Cheers man.

If he asks more than anything else. If he doesn't then no worries but if it comes up my reasons for leaving then the problem would arise.

D

mikel

Platinum Member
Cheers man.

If he asks more than anything else. If he doesn't then no worries but if it comes up my reasons for leaving then the problem would arise.

D
I dont see why you have to mention the others, and it looks like I am not alone in this.

Tell the guy YOU want more money, negotiate YOUR fee for a gig. It has nothing to do with the others, you feel you are worth more money, end of story. How this would in any way reflect on the other members of the band is beyond me.

Daisy

Just say "because the money you're paying me isn't worth my while, I want more money for gigs, and I could get more with another band".

I agree that there's no reason to mention your band mates, their pay or anything at all other than what YOU want.

(Although I wouldn't want to spend my evenings with someone who smells anyway).

Next band I leave (there's bound to be one as I seem to be rather fussy (!) ) - I shall just say "I'm leaving" and leave it at that. At that stage, no-one's ever going to say "You're right. I should take more showers" or "Yes, it's true, I don't practice as much as I should" or "Thank you for pointing out that I'm not really a nice person. I will change my ways".