how to get tight!!

mr_hayward_99

i have a td9 and on it there is a function where you can zoom into how closes you are i.e. before on r behind the beat.. i thnk that the rytham coach is the same princeble.

while practicing i find it incredibly difficult to manage to nail on the beat at 40bpm quater note.

i try having internal mechanisms to get the spacing good.

i think that i am having problems internaising the pulse

how do you guys manage to get really tight playing on the beat. watching my playing i am aways speeding up slightly.

any tips on how to get very tight. probably playing with v good musicians is a start i suppose but any other practice ideas would be good?

Monica McCoy

Find the tempo at which you are burying the click and then move down incrementally 4 BPMs until the metronome bottoms out. Maybe it takes a week or two to get there. Who knows? It's much harder to at 40 than it is at 100 so it's totally normal.

davidr

I have the TD9 as well and i find that with certain beats I find it easier to stay in time because they feel more natural. Playing the most natural beats to start with and then moving onto the less natural beats (usually the simplest ones ironically) is the easiest way.

As for speeding up, try keeping time with your left foot, either with the hats or by tapping your heel.

Try something called undertow. This involves counting another beat over what your playing. This can be anything from bassline to a polyrhythm. This makes simple beats more fleshed out and helps you to feel the tempo. Initially just play the basic rock beat and sing something else over it.

Finally, record yourself with Quick Rec for 20 seconds and just listen straight away. You'll know when your going wrong and might find that what you think is in time when your playing actually isn't and vice-versa.

what the funk of it

Oh man. 40 BPM is tough, that's for sure. Try setting your click to beep on 8ths or 16ths rather than just quarters. Quarters at 40 BPM have an entire 1.5 seconds between clicks, that's a lot of room for error. So subdivide the pulse, counting or singing along always helps too.

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
Oh man. 40 BPM is tough, that's for sure. Try setting your click to beep on 8ths or 16ths rather than just quarters. Quarters at 40 BPM have an entire 1.5 seconds between clicks, that's a lot of room for error. So subdivide the pulse, counting or singing along always helps too.

No, stick to quarter notes at 40; what you're attempting is one of the hardest exercises, and certainly a challenge to the concentration, but it's invaluable. The only way to nail a click at that speed is to develop internal time. Obviously this will take a lot of time and work at other tempos and subdivisions, but always come back to this tempo to recognise the progress you're making. Count out-loud, and set up your metronome to play on unusual subdivision e.g. practice rudiments with the click sounding on the e's, &'s and ah's rather than the standard downbeat.

abe

No, stick to quarter notes at 40; what you're attempting is one of the hardest exercises, and certainly a challenge to the concentration, but it's invaluable. The only way to nail a click at that speed is to develop internal time. Obviously this will take a lot of time and work at other tempos and subdivisions, but always come back to this tempo to recognise the progress you're making. Count out-loud, and set up your metronome to play on unusual subdivision e.g. practice rudiments with the click sounding on the e's, &'s and ah's rather than the standard downbeat.
I agree with you. I have Beatnik rhythm analyzer, and I've made big progress by doing extremely slow practicing. It's lowest subdivision practice speed is 25 bmp in quater notes. In the beggining it was very hard but I'm getting much better.It's almost like meditation.You have to realy relax and at the same time be focused,
Interesting trick is to practice at that speed for example for 20 min. and than turn speed up to 16th notes at 60 bpm; suddenly it's joke to play very precisely at the new speed.

denisri

Silver Member
Bottom line...practicing very relaxed and at very slow tempo has many benefits. Individual picture frames in a movie. When learning or developing a new beat I start at 53BPM.Denis