how to get this snare sound???

Fuzrock

Silver Member
I'm not seeing a link or an attachment therefore I can't hear the snare sound you are going for. Maybe you can repost the link.

braincramp

Gold Member
I searched for this kind of sound and finally got it with a walnut stave shell in my free floater.. its now my main snare.. the stave being vertical grain creates a fast focused pop with little sustain..and walnut has a great low end. I have a hazy 300 and Genera coated batter resonant tuned med-high -batter medium ...small with light dampering.. see if I can post something but check out walnut shells they are great. good luck it is a great snare sound

ENRICO

Silver Member
I searched for this kind of sound and finally got it with a walnut stave shell in my free floater.. its now my main snare.. the stave being vertical grain creates a fast focused pop with little sustain..and walnut has a great low end. I have a hazy 300 and Genera coated batter resonant tuned med-high -batter medium ...small with light dampering.. see if I can post something but check out walnut shells they are great. good luck it is a great snare sound
but what size and thickness?

braincramp

Gold Member
My free floater is 6.5 so the "wood shell" needs to be 5" and its 3/8" thick... it sound to me and it is my opinion that its a very focused short sustain. This may be hard to get (without micing with compression) with a ply snare.

ENRICO

Silver Member
I wouldn't mind to have more sustain , it fact I'd like a little more sustain.

you've made a good point about the focus, I think that die cast hoops and a thicker resonant resonant head (like remo emperor snare side or may the new remo black suede snare side) would be a good way to increase it.

what do you think?

braincramp

Gold Member
Not really sure I know it will dampen it... maybe I'm a purist I never stray from the hazy 300 and coated batter.. I am a big fan of the stave , one ply, segmented snare sound and think the stave is the most focused of all.

andy-hernianto

Sound like13" snare with 6,5-7 depth. Crank it up the batter head around 91-93 with drumdial, single ply medium head (remo ambassador). Medium tension for side head (80). Put some moongel. I have 13x6,5 spirit drums, sound almost exactly like that with no eq. Hope this will help.

Bertram

Silver Member
Try Emps over emps, really tight / medium tight. I think almost any snare can produce this sound with a little dampening or right tuning. IF moongel is not enough try putting on of these o-rings on it. As i really think that snare sounds dampened. It's not even ringing, nothing. The sound he produces sounds like if he is making rim shots with the same power all out through the song. Rim shots sounds very close to that sound, with almost every tuning, and a heavy dampening (like an o-ring). When he makes fills, it also sounds like rimshots.

That guy left nothing in the song to sound real. Everything is eq'ed..