How to get music to play to?.

Homeularis

Gold Member
I have been playing off and on for many years. I havent played seriously for 10 years and my chops are down. I have a hard time practicing all alone because I get bored and have a hard time coming up with beats, fills and various riffs.
I have almost always practiced while playing with other musicians, bands...etc but I think I need to at least practice for a wile alone to get my chops back. There is a very good drummer in here somewhere but I am having a hard time finding him.

My question is about getting a good veriaty of music to play to, but I dont have alot of CDs or other types of music. Infact. I dont have any means to play music other than my car stereo.
What is a good and affordable way to get music and the means to play it loud enough to play to?. Headphones, PA, IPOD, Stereo or click?.
I dont know where to start.
Anyone have any good Ideas?.

Brundlefly

My question is about getting a good veriaty of music to play to, but I dont have alot of CDs or other types of music. Infact. I dont have any means to play music other than my car stereo.
What is a good and affordable way to get music and the means to play it loud enough to play to?. Headphones, PA, IPOD, Stereo or click?.
I dont know where to start.
Anyone have any good Ideas?.
How about the Dubya Dubya Webs? I like the iPhone/iTunes combo myself. Shuffles are cheap. That and a nice pair of isolation cans should do it.

Homeularis

Gold Member
Thanks Brundle but I dont know what the Dubya Dubya Webs are and I dont know what isolation cans are. I'm guessing headphones of some kind?.

brady

Platinum Member
Thanks Brundle but I dont know what the Dubya Dubya Webs are and I dont know what isolation cans are. I'm guessing headphones of some kind?.
If you're reading this, you're on the Dubya Dubya Webs...

Yes, isolation cans are headphones.

Are you able to play songs on your computer? Maybe you could use that if you don't have an MP3 player, iPod, etc. That is, if your computer is close enough to your drums.

toddy

Platinum Member
for music - piratebay, demonoid, etc etc. get utorrent.

is your computer near your drum kit? or do you have a laptop or something you could setup nearby? you could load up songs into a DAW such as reaper/pro tools/cubase & then put a click over the top. et voila, music to play to with click.

Homeularis

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies but its just me and my kit going to a rehearsal studio. No computer.
I wish I could afford a laptop but no way right now.
So, what relatively innexpensive player/headphone combo would be good?.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
For headphones I recommend the Sennheiser CX-300s with ear defenders over the top. I've used this for practising for a few years now and it works very well. I even did a gig with them once.

zfzgg

Personally, I just use a cheap mp3 player(Ipod shuffle would be perfect for you). I put the earphones that came with it in my ears, and then cover over them with a big pair of industrial earmuffs made for construction sites. You're not going to get much cheaper than that, and honestly it works just as well as any other combo for home practicing.

zfzgg

Oh, and as for getting music: get a flash drive, take it around to the houses of everybody you know and steal everything they have on their computers. My drum teacher has also provided me with a lot of good music to practice to. Failing that, you can buy songs off I tunes. I've never used it, but I hear they're priced fairly reasonably?