How To Get More Attack Out Of Your Drums?

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Agree with the two posts above. Clear, single ply heads top and bottom will give you maximum attack. In addition, you can play rimshots to add even more snap to the initial hit.

- Agree with all previous comments.
+ High spring tension on bass (kick) drum pedal.
+ High tune on bass drum reso head.

HUdrummer

Thanks guys, I knw that the remo pinestrip are 2 ply, but i really like the sound of them, so i think ill go with them, and i also like the aquarian super kick 2. How ar the attack on those heads?

veggo32

Silver Member
Sounds like your looking for focus not attack. Because the heads you've listed are all geared for focus. You want attack follow the advice below. If you want both then go with a 2ply thin head like the Aquarian super2 clear. 5mil and 7mil. Imo this head provides the best of both worlds.

Also, wood type has an effect too. ie. Birch drums have more attack than maple drums.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Also, don't forget to hit 'em dead center. No "close enough" playing--that will only take away from the attack...

Funnyman

The best thing I do is following Danny Carey's and Mike Portnoy's way....tune the drums no muffling at all, get the pure sound out, but also make it in a way that you get attack and sing as well. That's how I tune mine, make the drums attack and sing.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
The best thing I do is following Danny Carey's and Mike Portnoy's way....tune the drums no muffling at all, get the pure sound out, but also make it in a way that you get attack and sing as well. That's how I tune mine, make the drums attack and sing.
Both Mike and Danny use muffling....

Danny doesn't in that video with Ocheltree video, but I'm pretty sure he uses these heads, whcih have muffling built right in.

As for portnoy, for the longest time he used the Remo Pinstripe heads but he did switch to the clear emporers a while back but even then they still have tape and moongels and shit on them. pic below. :)

-Jonathan

Funnyman

Both Mike and Danny use muffling....

Danny doesn't in that video with Ocheltree video, but I'm pretty sure he uses these heads, whcih have muffling built right in.

As for portnoy, for the longest time he used the Remo Pinstripe heads but he did switch to the clear emporers a while back but even then they still have tape and moongels and shit on them. pic below. :)

-Jonathan
I never seen Danny use muffling. And I meant follow their ways as in Danny way: Don't use muffling. And Portnoy's way as in "Attack and sing." Because I know Portnoy uses muffling.