How to get 70's funk drum sound?

Quai34

Apply spray to ... drums or hair? :)
You know what? Maybe because I'm a keys player, it took me a long time to understand it was a joke!!! I was seeing myself spraying it all over the heads wondering how could I do that without damaging both the heads and the finishing!!!!

felonious69

For that 70's sound, I was always partial to the Wah Snare.
Wah.jpg
Every time I try to upload a picture I have taken with my (Android) phone, it's "too large" and I have to crop the hell out of it.

Yamaha Rider

I read somewhere that you can get a great fat funk snare sound by laying an old drum head on top of the batter. (inverted? Hoop cut off? Not sure.)

Last edited:

felonious69

I read somewhere that you can get a great fat funk snare sound by laying a old drum head on top of the batter. (inverted? Hoop cut off? Not sure.)
I have the ""rings" on my toms and snare. If you used more than one, would that have the same-ish effect?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Boy this thread is a flashback-taking off reso heads (I lost the reso hoops) . I had a chrome snare I put a strip of cloth than ran across the batter and went under the hoops to dud-en it LOL. Really to capture the sound you need to record and playback like it's coming from poor reception on your FM radio LOL. This belongs in the "customize your kit" thread. Fun thread

ToneT

There were some engineers who would cover all the drums with a big bedsheet. They would also tell you to play as quietly as possible.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
my first drumset had no bottom rim for the rack tom (it had lugs) and no front rim for the bass drum (also had lugs) must had been taken off at some point in its history (it was an oooooold Pearl with the original logo, so pre-1975 I think)

mikyok

Platinum Member
Dampening, compression with a smidgen of reverb. Tune as needed, in fairness if you're dampening everything play it by ear.

Got a pretty darn good sound with the EAD 10 and moongels. I made a setting called Dry Gadd

jimb

as above but with old sock half full of coins layed on top and a cloth inside the drum...dead city.

felonious69

Damping rings? I'm not qualified to comment - someone else might know.
I have the Evans E-rings...diameter of the heads (10, 12, 14, 16) about an inch wide. Helps with overtones. They look like they are made from drum heads (material). The Remo ones are frosted, the Evans are clear.

Yamaha Rider

I have the Evans E-rings...diameter of the heads (10, 12, 14, 16) about an inch wide. Helps with overtones. They look like they are made from drum heads (material). The Remo ones are frosted, the Evans are clear.
I've heard you can make your own by cutting down old drum heads.
Do they fit under or on top?

felonious69

I originally bought Remo rings. But I looked and you could see the Remo logo, with the Evans (head) logo right below it, so I bought the Evans ones.
Both just under ten bucks a set.
The twelve inch is about 12 outer diameter and 10 inner.
You could customize some and make the inner hole smaller I guess...experimenting.

felonious69

I think you HAVE TO HAVE a vibra slap too...especially if you're doing Cop-show music.