How to do this stick trick??

There's a "trick" to it. You don't actually get the flying from the stick rebound - that's difficult to control and sometimes not enough energy. You just hit the drum then throw the stick up. The challenge is making it look like the stick bounced. It's only an illusion.

There's a "trick" to it. You don't actually get the flying from the stick rebound - that's difficult to control and sometimes not enough energy. You just hit the drum then throw the stick up. The challenge is making it look like the stick bounced. It's only an illusion.

I had a feeling. Lol. Thanks, so i should just practice hitting the snare, then really quick throwing my stick up?

I do believe I read somewhere that Tommy taught himself that trick by sitting in his parents back yard with a snare, a stool, and 60 drum sticks doing it over and over again until he perfected it.

I slowed it down and he is definitely bouncing the stick off of the drum and not throwing it up. I think the big trick is how someone that tall sits so low.

I really wanna figure it out, haha it looks so cool. Would you suggest just trying bouncing it in different ways? Can u tell where it looks like he hits it?

It looked to me as if he hit the head and the hoop at the same time. Stop the youtube video as it plays and slide the little dot with your mouse to see frame by frame.

Any time I do this the stick flys back and hits me. I think only once or twice I bounced it off a Floor Tom and had it flip straight up and was able to catch it.

I did find a way of cheating it though....
Hit the snare with your left hand and flip up a stick with your right. You need to hold your right hand low so no one will see that it's not the stick you just hit the snare with being flung into the air. I have the bennefit of sitting low with a 26" kick in front of me, so anytime I pull this little number the people watching never notice that I am pulling a switch. They just think I am bouncing it off the snare a-la Tommy Lee.

I guess you can throw it, but bouncing it off the snare really does work and it really does bounce that high, I just did it yesterday (between songs lol, not good enough to do it during songs....yet lol)
It goes really friggin high. I can get it up there like 20 feet easy. Your snare has to be reasonably flat. You throw the stick down so it does a rimshot (only your hand isn't on it cause you just threw it). You definitely have to hit the stick to the drum just right for the stick to fly up at a catchable angle. Keep practicing, it's a great visual.

IIRC Jeff Queen's DVD teaches this trick, it might be on his page on vicfirth.com too. You just hit the drum and let the stick bounce, the hard part is timing the release of the stick and having the right angle for the hit. So yeah, get those 200 sticks and go practice. =P OR! practice something musical.

Moon was doing that at the Monteray Pop Festival with a bunch of sticks during My Generation. He got a lot of air and sent them flying out of reach. I would be afraid of hitting myself in the face. It looks like you just let go at the same time hits like a rimshot.

I do believe I read somewhere that Tommy taught himself that trick by sitting in his parents back yard with a snare, a stool, and 60 drum sticks doing it over and over again until he perfected it.
Yes this article was in MD and it took him a long time sticks were flying through the neighborhood till he got it down.LOL
Tim

I perfer the "Chip Ritter" trick (tossing the stick from behind,and catching in front) that way
I only take out the guitar player or the singer (like they don't deserve it) if I miss and not myself.Did the Tommy Lee once and nearly took out my right eye.

I perfer the "Chip Ritter" trick (tossing the stick from behind,and catching in front) that way
I only take out the guitar player or the singer (like they don't deserve it) if I miss and not myself.Did the Tommy Lee once and nearly took out my right eye.
You have to give credit to Lionel Hampton for MOST of these tricks
In the old days before my time. he would jugggle up to 6 sticks while playing
Tim

I guess you can throw it, but bouncing it off the snare really does work and it really does bounce that high, I just did it yesterday (between songs lol, not good enough to do it during songs....yet lol)
It goes really friggin high. I can get it up there like 20 feet easy. Your snare has to be reasonably flat. You throw the stick down so it does a rimshot (only your hand isn't on it cause you just threw it). You definitely have to hit the stick to the drum just right for the stick to fly up at a catchable angle. Keep practicing, it's a great visual.

Impressive. Haha. Im just gonna get a bucket of sticks, and experiment.

Btw thanks guys for all the replies :D

Did the Tommy Lee once and nearly took out my right eye.

Same here. I quickly found the danger level out weighed any desire to try that trick again.

You have to give credit to Lionel Hampton for MOST of these tricks
In the old days before my time. he would jugggle up to 6 sticks while playing
Tim

Good point.

It always amazes me forget that stick tricks actually all originated with the jazz legends.

Back