How to dampen or lower-down the volume of an 8" splash?

jotadrums

How to dampen or lower-down the volume of an 8" splash? I do practice with a Pearl Compact Traveler mini-kit in a flat with neighbours.

Any suggestions out there? Regards...

Tape will choke it and kill any ring or sustain it might have. It will also remove any resemblance of a splash cymbal it may have. It will basically just go clang.

Just get a 10" low volume splash, like the Zildjian 10" Low Volume Splash.
Will sound more or less like a splash and is also quieter.

How to dampen or lower-down the volume of an 8" splash? I do practice with a Pearl Compact Traveler mini-kit in a flat with neighbours.

Any suggestions out there? Regards...
Use mesh heads and those plastic practice cymbals from Pintech or some other company. If its about practicing quiet, then play something that doesn't create real sound.

Just get a 10" low volume splash, like the Zildjian 10" Low Volume Splash.
Will sound more or less like a splash and is also quieter.
---Still too loud, am afraid. Anyway, I wanted to use the existing instead of spending. Thanks a lot for your answer. Regards!!!

Put a rag on top of part of it.

----I provisionally came up with this:

20201125_195326.jpg

----Just a cloth for cleaning viewing glasses I don't nearly use.... In the near future I plan to full surround the cymbal edge with foam tape...or sth like that...we'll see....BTW it mutes almost 90% of the sound....even being a low volume cym!!!:eek:

I know Millienium cymbals are not top-notch. But couldn't afford a L80 set, quite lower than the Millenium....:(

Tiny pieces of white velcro tape in the stick ball tips!!! The full kit is completely playable with zero loss in rebound.

As for the kit, it is a Pearl Compact Traveler with mesh heads in bass and snare...oh, how do I adore it sooo baaad!!!:love::love:???

---

Last edited:
Back