How to count off 'The Way You Make Me Feel' by MJ

pearlnl

Hi all,

I am a bit confused about how to count-off The Way You Make Me Feel. I can play the opening fill leading into the shuffle, and although it is a drum-only intro, it would be better to count it off.

Although the song is in 12/8 - 6/4 -- I feel the shuffle (after the fill and throughout the song) more as a straight 4/4. (In terms of time, not in terms of playing)

How would you count this off? And is the opening-fills spreaded over 2 measures (i.e. the first hit is in bar 1 on for example count 4, and the rest of the fill is in bar 2)?

Hope someone could explain this to me. Any help is appreciated! :)

Stitch Kaboodle

As Craig says the count is:

1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a

Tricky thing about the intro fill is that it starts on the very last 8th note. The 'a' of 4.

So you must first count a full bar and start your fill on the last 8th note. The fill lasts the whole of the following bar.

So:

"1, 2, 3, 4 and a " ---- This 'a' is where you start the fill.

The fill is a 3 over 4 feel as you probably know by now. Getting it to start on the 'a' of 4 is what you need to practise.

Hope that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBi2jkXrqZE

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hi all,

I am a bit confused about how to count-off The Way You Make Me Feel. I can play the opening fill leading into the shuffle, and although it is a drum-only intro, it would be better to count it off.

Although the song is in 12/8 - 6/4 -- I feel the shuffle (after the fill and throughout the song) more as a straight 4/4. (In terms of time, not in terms of playing)

How would you count this off? And is the opening-fills spreaded over 2 measures (i.e. the first hit is in bar 1 on for example count 4, and the rest of the fill is in bar 2)?

Hope someone could explain this to me. Any help is appreciated! :)
I think you're thinking too much. Whatever the song is, it's in 4-beats-to-the-bar (whatever those beats are - I'm being simplistic). You just need to be thinking in terms of the triplet - and have that subdivision going in your head at all times. In pop music there is really only two choice: straight subdivisions, or swinging subdivisions. Just make sure you make it feel right.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Things like this I click my sticks to the 12/8 or whatever it is while counting the quarter notes: 1,2,3,4. This actually really helps with things like a slow 12/8 blues to keep from counting too fast which is where I developed the habit.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
As Bo said: Just count the quarters!

By the way, 12/8 isn't the same as 6/4! 12/8 has a quarter note feel divided into groups
of 3 eights. That's why you can also write and feel it as 4/4 with a triplet feel. 6/4 on the other
hand has 6 quarter notes to a measure, obviously. If that's the case you would count
to 6 in The Way You Make Me Feel, which you don't, hopefully :).