How to clean up this EQ on an old live recording?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I've been converting some old tapes to digital and found this punky version of Jimi's Fire recorded at a gig. Trouble is, it's messy-sounding, what with tape degradation and a muddy mix. Is there any way of cleaning this up a bit?

Cheers

Attachments

Mark_S

Silver Member
I'm at work and can't listen to it just now - but usually mud is in the 250hz area - try cutting a bit there. If it sounds a bit nasily and honky, you may also want to cut around 1k. I'll take a listen when I get home if nobody else has answered by then.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
I've been converting some old tapes to digital and found this punky version of Jimi's Fire recorded at a gig. Trouble is, it's messy-sounding, what with tape degradation and a muddy mix. Is there any way of cleaning this up a bit?

Cheers
WOW !!! that's two great Fire(s) i've heard this week. too bad you don't want to play like that anymore.

sadness.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Hey! here's the file cleaned up! :)
Ah, multi-talented, I see :) It's definitely better, thanks. What did you do? I notice that the jarring volume fluctuations have been softened so that points to compression. What EQ did you apply?

UFF, I don't have the energy to rock out these days. In cooler weather I can walk out of practice or gigs without a drop of sweat! Tell ya what, listening to those old tapes made me realise how much clunky drumming I did. I must have been hearing the music with wine goggles or something. Some other tracks have good backing but the vocals totally kill it :(

ToPrAle

No problem! im an audio engineer! i used specific plug-in's from the waves collection aimed to restore audio by getting rid of hums...hiss...clicks and pop's! i just applied some limiting that also restored some of the high frequencies. no eq, with eq you always end up changing the sound dramatically..

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
Ah, multi-talented, I see :) It's definitely better, thanks. What did you do? I notice that the jarring volume fluctuations have been softened so that points to compression. What EQ did you apply?

UFF, I don't have the energy to rock out these days. In cooler weather I can walk out of practice or gigs without a drop of sweat! Tell ya what, listening to those old tapes made me realise how much clunky drumming I did. I must have been hearing the music with wine goggles or something. Some other tracks have good backing but the vocals totally kill it :(
MORE !!!!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
No problem! im an audio engineer! i used specific plug-in's from the waves collection aimed to restore audio by getting rid of hums...hiss...clicks and pop's! i just applied some limiting that also restored some of the high frequencies. no eq, with eq you always end up changing the sound dramatically..
If people had half decent taste in music you'd be saying "i'm a professional touring musician" rather than "i'm an engineer" :)

Okay, so it's fancy engineer stuff rather than EQ. Be nice to have a doodad like that at home. Ta for the mix. Still, since I can hardly ask you to clean up the mountains of excrement I've pulled from the cassettes, I'm still on the hunt for EQ tips :)

MORE !!!!
Ah, you're a benevolent lad :)

Okay, this recording is better quality and less damaged. I've done some noise filtering and EQing in Audacity ... can't remember what but definitely reduced 300-400hz and 800hz-1khz to clean out the mud and honk.

This one's an original song and less messed up than most of this band's efforts by the the vocalist's inability to sing ... and his insistence on making funny noises through people's solos. I provide questionable tempo control and toms that sound like cardboard boxes on steroids :)

On the plus side, the tune has some hot sax and guitar solos and great-sounding, rock solid bass.

Attachments

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I have no EQ advice to offer Pol, but loving these old recordings. I especially like your drumming in "Fire". Great spirit on the skins there, not "clunky" at all.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
Ah, you're a benevolent lad :)

Okay, this recording is better quality and less damaged. I've done some noise filtering and EQing in Audacity ... can't remember what but definitely reduced 300-400hz and 800hz-1khz to clean out the mud and honk.

This one's an original song and less messed up than most of this band's efforts by the the vocalist's inability to sing ... and his insistence on making funny noises through people's solos. I provide questionable tempo control and toms that sound like cardboard boxes on steroids :)

On the plus side, the tune has some hot sax and guitar solos and great-sounding, rock solid bass.
sounds good to me. sultry. i was gonna say sleazy, but then remembered there is a Lady present.

thank you Mistress, may i have another ?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I have no EQ advice to offer Pol, but loving these old recordings. I especially like your drumming in "Fire". Great spirit on the skins there, not "clunky" at all.
Ta Andy. Glad you liked it! Amazing how much energy we had when we're young, eh? These days I'd be carried off in a stretcher if I tried that.

sounds good to me. sultry. i was gonna say sleazy, but then remembered there is a Lady present.

thank you Mistress, may i have another ?
Sleazy is fine, UFF. At this time of life the idea of protecting my honour seems pretty pointless lol

"Mistress" now? Holy Sadomasochism Batman! Okay, this one is from the 90s, a band formed with workmates (in a tea room after work) playing the singer/songwriter's original song. The songs from this period would be the most mature music of my old stuff. I did a noise removal on this one and reduced some harsh tones from 5-7khz.

Should have called this thread Polly's Vault or something, hey?

Attachments

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
Ta Andy. Glad you liked it! Amazing how much energy we had when we're young, eh? These days I'd be carried off in a stretcher if I tried that.

Sleazy is fine, UFF. At this time of life the idea of protecting my honour seems pretty pointless lol

"Mistress" now? Holy Sadomasochism Batman! Okay, this one is from the 90s, a band formed with workmates (in a tea room after work) playing the singer/songwriter's original song. The songs from this period would be the most mature music of my old stuff. I did a noise removal on this one and reduced some harsh tones from 5-7khz.

Should have called this thread Polly's Vault or something, hey?
yes, Mistress. thank you Mistress.

very modern sounding. it's always interesting to hear the decades go by. solid as always. the band is great. it's always good to hear that a contemporary can keep up with the times.

please Mistress...another ?

ToPrAle

Ohh and i was so much into the sound problem of the file that i forgot about the drumming part!!!
GREAT PLAYING!!!!! you could have played with Hendrix!!! nice forward motion and precision!! loved it!!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I think you'd find "Vault Polly" would get more views!
lol - yes, I'm sure ... as in vault Polly to get to Halley Berry :)

yes, Mistress. thank you Mistress.

very modern sounding. it's always interesting to hear the decades go by. solid as always. the band is great. it's always good to hear that a contemporary can keep up with the times.

please Mistress...another ?
Mr Benevolent strikes again! Yes, that one's less retro, being written in the mid 90s. I really enjoy playing with singer songwriters. Tall ya what, if I get another request I'll post more :)

... oh and if anyone has some EQ tips, I'm all ears!

Ohh and i was so much into the sound problem of the file that i forgot about the drumming part!!!
GREAT PLAYING!!!!! you could have played with Hendrix!!! nice forward motion and precision!! loved it!!
Thanks Alessio - I've had some good feedback on this site from quite a few players who are miles more advanced as musicians than I am .... and it always comes as a shock :)

I'm always expecting someone to say like "hmm, a few spotty moments where you sped up / slowed down / fell a little out of the groove etc", which is what I would have probably said if someone posted these things lol

You're probably nicer than I am :) Hey, what's this Drummer of Tomorrow contest you're in? Pretty amazing for you to be in the top 16. How many entrants would there have been?

ToPrAle

Mr Benevolent strikes again! Yes, that one's less retro, being written in the mid 90s. I really enjoy playing with singer songwriters. Tall ya what, if I get another request I'll post more :)

... oh and if anyone has some EQ tips, I'm all ears!

Thanks Alessio - I've had some good feedback on this site from quite a few players who are miles more advanced as musicians than I am .... and it always comes as a shock :)

I'm always expecting someone to say like "hmm, a few spotty moments where you sped up / slowed down / fell a little out of the groove etc", which is what I would have probably said if someone posted these things lol

You're probably nicer than I am :) Hey, what's this Drummer of Tomorrow contest you're in? Pretty amazing for you to be in the top 16. How many entrants would there have been?

Hey Believe me! i don;t write comments as favors!! so you deserve it!!EHeh drummer of tomorrow is a contest by mapex.. that i sent a little video for and then i forgot about it... thinking that i would never get all those votes cause im not good at spamming things like that to friends and make them vote... lol..

Anyways i wake up the other day.. and i find this email... i was about to throw it in the trash!!!! Ah hA hAH so they called 16 people to nashville to record a video... i still don;t know if i believe it! A A A hhA ha
i think there where 10.000 subscription. the 16 people from what i understand didn;t pass by votes but via a 10 people panel commmission.

let's see what happens!!!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Sorry Alessio, it's just my neurotic middle aged lack of self esteem talking - okay, comments on board :)

Getting to the last 16 is pretty awesome but fair enough. You have the chops, groove and feel - and there are tons of players out there with chops and groove - but I hear more musicality and taste in your playing than most up-and-comers I've heard. It would be cool if you got the top gong and it will take a classy musician to beat you!

Meanwhile ... no one's made a request but, as my current band's singer says, silence is consent :)

I was surprised to come across the attached song when doing the conversion because I'd forgotten that one of my old bands did a couple of Police covers. This one is When the World Is Running Down, recorded at the same gig as the song I posted below Let's Travel.

You'll notice a speedup early on - I started the tune too slow and was given the cue to pick it up. After that, it went pretty smoothly. Again, some very good sax and guitar in this one.

Attachments

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I'm no oil painting, but I have hidden skills! I close my eyes when playing, & it's the groove, not the wrap, right?

Liking the latest tune too Pol. A touch pacey in places, but still that signature solidity.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Hey, I'm no oil painting, but I have hidden skills! I close my eyes when playing, & it's the groove, not the wrap, right?

Liking the latest tune too Pol. A touch pacey in places, but still that signature solidity.
By hidden skills do you mean vaulting? Bit of a closet gymnast, eh? ... " I close my eyes when playing, & it's the groove, not the wrap, right?" ... nice analogy between drumming and other rhythm-based activities :)

As for tempo, that's one thing I've noticed with these old recordings. I could do a lot more on a kit back then than I can now but my tempo was very woolly at times. Win some lose some, I guess.

What I like about the Police cover is the guitar and sax. Especially like the way the guitarist slipped seamlessly from a scorching solo to the first chord of the next passage - I thought that was very slick.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
Sorry Alessio, it's just my neurotic middle aged lack of self esteem talking - okay, comments on board :)

Getting to the last 16 is pretty awesome but fair enough. You have the chops, groove and feel - and there are tons of players out there with chops and groove - but I hear more musicality and taste in your playing than most up-and-comers I've heard. It would be cool if you got the top gong and it will take a classy musician to beat you!

Meanwhile ... no one's made a request but, as my current band's singer says, silence is consent :)

I was surprised to come across the attached song when doing the conversion because I'd forgotten that one of my old bands did a couple of Police covers. This one is When the World Is Running Down, recorded at the same gig as the song I posted below Let's Travel.

You'll notice a speedup early on - I started the tune too slow and was given the cue to pick it up. After that, it went pretty smoothly. Again, some very good sax and guitar in this one.
yes. Mistress. yes. your Bottom is so pleasing Mistress.

i will now cancel the fake account i created in order to make request for More. that is, unless it pleases Mistress to keep said account.

please Mistress...i know i am not worthy but please...request video of Mistress stomping the crap out out of her Mighty drum kit ala "For Your Life" or such.

btw i liked the lyrics to "Let's Travel" - forgot to mention that.

and please...request photo of Mistress' un-shoe'd right foot suitable for framing.

also i did not hear any tempo fluctuations on "World". i have it on repeat and it seems to start off at the same tempo as it ends.