How to be creative with the hi-hat

Massimo Discepoli

In this lesson we will discover a method that will allow us to insert the hihat pedal sound at any point of a rhythm, thus creating original grooves that will have an additional layer of rhythmic complexity than usual.

Download the syncopated sheet from http://www.massimodiscepoli.com/lessons/Syncopation_source.pdf

Feel free to comment, ask questions or suggest topics for the next lessons!

Please subscribe to my Youtube channel to be notified about next videos

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Yes, nice concept and also very useful to practice indepence..

I am not sure though if there will be a lot of times that these exercises also sound nice within a song-context (regarding those money-beats), but thats also a matter of taste maybe..

One minor criticism is that after about 6.30 you are quite oft not playing your own transcription anymore regarding hihat foot and right hand..

But still, like i said, nice and useful concept..!:)

Massimo Discepoli

Yes, nice concept and also very useful to practice indepence..

I am not sure though if there will be a lot of times that these exercises also sound nice within a song-context (regarding those money-beats), but thats also a matter of taste maybe..

One minor criticism is that after about 6.30 you are quite oft not playing your own transcription anymore regarding hihat foot and right hand..

But still, like i said, nice and useful concept..!:)

Thank you for watching and for your words!
You're totally right that some of these grooves could be too much busy, instead they should be used as starting points, to develope new ideas and working on coordination with the left foot.
Yes, I made some small variations while recording the last part of the video and forgot to update the transciptions, but I think the concept was clear anyway :)

TMe

I am not sure though if there will be a lot of times that these exercises also sound nice within a song-context....
I'm thinking the opposite. The ultimate "money beats" are 4-on-the-floor, and the box beat. Using hats like this (with some added cymbals) would allow a drummer to follow the melody or lead instrument while still keeping the money beat chugging along. I think this has endless practical application. Definitely something I want to work on.

Massimo Discepoli

I'm thinking the opposite. The ultimate "money beats" are 4-on-the-floor, and the box beat. Using hats like this (with some added cymbals) would allow a drummer to follow the melody or lead instrument while still keeping the money beat chugging along. I think this has endless practical application. Definitely something I want to work on.
Absolutely, it would be a very interesting approach; of course the "money beat" should be solid and the hi-hat work totally clean :)