how to avoid crossovers?

ronyd

Silver Member
This drummer does a great job with Sandy Nelson - Let there be Drums:

What sticking is this drummer using to avoid cross sticking? All the toms are being played with his lead hand (righty). Is he doing combinations of doubles and paradiddles?

hope this isn;t a silly question.

see video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3qb4uQbO10

Stroman

Platinum Member
He is mostly using doubles, with occasional alternating singles on the syncopated accents. Then later in the solo, the 16th note triplets are singles.

But the simplest answer to your question is, yes he uses doubles to avoid any crossovers.

ronyd

Silver Member
He is mostly using doubles, with occasional alternating singles on the syncopated accents. Then later in the solo, the 16th note triplets are singles.

But the simplest answer to your question is, yes he uses doubles to avoid any crossovers.
Thankx. Tried doubles with paradiddle sticking on the syncopated accents which seem to work. Will look at the rest of solo.

Man listening to this in the morning will get your motors running.

oh, BTW, I was motivated by a transcription posted by http://onlinedrummer.com.

Last edited:

WhoIsTony?

just different variations of a pud-a-duh type thing

Max Roach used to call this ... accessing the "easy hand"

I have a great exercise sheet to strengthen this .... if you are interested PM me

EDIT: never mind .. I just sent it straight to you .... enjoy

:)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Yea, I think you guys are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Also, crossovers in that groove would totally change the sound and it wouldn't be the same. Notice the dynamic difference between the notes in the doubles, etc. I think he's choosing that method for the sound, not to avoid crossing or anything.

Practice your doubles and varying the accents/dynamics. I'm quite sure Anthony's exercise will also be hugely beneficial.

Tony, if you see this, can you also send me a copy? No reason not to put it in my practice book as long as you're sending it around!