How tight is finger tight exactly?

dpk204

When they say to tighten the bass drum finger tight first, does that mean finger tight till you can't turn it by finger anymore or finger tight till the rod stops to wobble?

Biscuit

Finger tight untill you can't turn the screws anymore. Or at least that's my definition of finger tight.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Finger tight is just as tight as you can get something with your bare hand alone. If you are using more than just your hand, it is too tight. If you have to tense up your wrist, forearm or shoulder, that is too tight.

dpk204

I was confused because if you finger tighten till you can't tighten them anymore, that's actually pretty tight. If you finger tighten till there is no wobble, that is not really tight.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It is a grey area.
I work in the Automotive repair field and one of the hardest things that I do is to teach interns how to torque bolts.
Drums are the same way. You simply have to find your way by trial and error until you grasp the concept of finger tight.
The term finger tight is intended to mean that you should spin the tension rods with your fingers until you feel them tighten up a slight bit.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Finger tight is just as tight as you can get something with your bare hand alone. If you are using more than just your hand, it is too tight. If you have to tense up your wrist, forearm or shoulder, that is too tight.
Its not quite that simple, because your fingers are controlled by remote muscles in the forearm. You can't use your fingers without engaging the muscles in your forearms.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
The term finger tight is intended to mean that you should spin the tension rods with your fingers until you feel them tighten up a slight bit.
Correct.....we're not talking exact science here. The concept of "finger tight" is used to promote even tension at each lug BEFORE the tuning process begins....where you will then grab a drum key (or use the T-rods) and continue to tune with equal tension at each lug.

Having all the rods finger tight before you start to tune just ensures a consistent starting place.

Last edited:
A

audiotech

99% or more of the time you'll still have to use the drum key to tighten the rods even farther than what you can possibly do by finger tightening. Unless you're a gorilla, tighten them as much as you can by your finger pressure. I usually tighten two rods at the same time on opposite sides of the head. When all are finger tight, I again go through the same process because there are usually a couple that you can still cinch up on.

Dennis

Migaluch

I have had an odd problem of my lugs somehow becoming loose again after i finger tighten them. Can someone diagnose this? Should i re tighten them before making the first turns?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
It is really not that important. As long as the method you use is the same for every lug. My finger tight maybe tighter than yours. It is not an exact science but a reference point before using the drum key to insure even tension. Don't make it harder than it already is.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have had an odd problem of my lugs somehow becoming loose again after i finger tighten them. Can someone diagnose this? Should i re tighten them before making the first turns?
When you finger tighten the lug screws the first one you put the key on to turn will make the rim tighter on that side for a while until you catch up. Make them all finger tight, then give each one a full turn with the key. Don't turn more than a full turn just because it doesn't feel as tight as the one you just had the tuning key on. they will all even out and then you can tweak them to the same tone at the end.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Yes, It is OK to go around the drum a few times with your fingers until you balance the tensions out.
I use both hands on opposing lugs at the same time and I keep spinning the drum around while finger tightening until I can't turn the rods any tighter with my thumb and forefinger.