How stupid is this?

M

Matt Bo Eder

So I get this little 12/14/20 sized kit and have been having a great time playing it, then when I go back to my usual 13/16/24 kit, I set it up with the drums basically the same distance from each other as on the 12/14/20 kit. This inadvertently makes the height of the entire kit about four inches up from normal.

Today I go to play it and I notice, I'm sitting as high as Ringo sat with the Beatles (which was almost standing up if you saw pictures, because he wanted to be almost as tall as the other Beatles). And everything is just uncomfortably high for me, and I tell myself, "wait a minute, I've been playing this kit pretty comfortably for the last year or so, what the heck?"

I literally had to start from scratch again: I moved everything away from the kit and put the snare drum in place at a comfortable height, and adjusted my throne downward. Then the rest of the kit came back in and everything was lowered, and spaced out a little farther. Duh! Bigger bass drum, everything moves away from me, not up. I'm an idiot. It felt like such a rookie thing to do. I almost felt like I was shrinking and needed to go down to a 22" bass drum. Man, it's embarrassing but I share it here because you all would understand.

Maybe.

Bo, in my drumming universe a 24" is the centre , and all things radiate from that. This is why a 5" deep snare drum is best used with a 24" bass in my estimation generally speaking. Although I have found recently that with using a Gibraltar catapult bass pedal and a 7" deep snare it radically changes how you can set up a 24" bass drum kit. With the Catapult you can place the bass drum further forward than with most "standard " pedals then place the snare more in front of you than to the side of the bass drum and then pull the rack Tom closer in. I am finding it quite unusual and beneficial. I don't do 20" bass drums they are not for me a 22" inch is about as small as I will go . If I sit high I just whack my legs.

Pretty funny.

It would only be stupid if you played it for a while set up like that.
And then you posted one of those threads titled "Please help me, I'm experiencing pain in my _______ ."

Logic never was your forte :p

It's bloody frustrating setting up kits sometimes though, I'm with you on that one.

Bo, in my drumming universe a 24" is the centre , and all things radiate from that. This is why a 5" deep snare drum is best used with a 24" bass in my estimation generally speaking. Although I have found recently that with using a Gibraltar catapult bass pedal and a 7" deep snare it radically changes how you can set up a 24" bass drum kit. With the Catapult you can place the bass drum further forward than with most "standard " pedals then place the snare more in front of you than to the side of the bass drum and then pull the rack Tom closer in. I am finding it quite unusual and beneficial. I don't do 20" bass drums they are not for me a 22" inch is about as small as I will go . If I sit high I just whack my legs.

Yeah, that's why I got the 24" in the first place. A 26" was too big, and sometimes a 22" isn't enough. But I was thinking a 20" would be as small as I would go for small gigs. I had just been playing the 20 enough that I got used to the spacing between everything.

You must be one of the small percentage that likes that Catapult pedal?

Stupid? Hardly.

I had an old throne that would slowly screw itself lower. After a few months, I'd notice that I was inadvertently hitting the snare rims a lot and then realize I was shrinking. I went through this process twice before I realized WTF was happening.

Stupid? Hardly.

I had an old throne that would slowly screw itself lower. After a few months, I'd notice that I was inadvertently hitting the snare rims a lot and then realize I was shrinking. I went through this process twice before I realized WTF was happening.

I swear there are drum throne trolls who live under my drum kit and lower my seat when I'm not around.

My woman sits on a drum throne at her work desk (I've trained her well!! HAHA) and she said to me "This seat lowers itself over time" and I said "Because you dismount to the right and then spin the seat once to make it back into place".

We in the Western world run clockwise so most right-handed folks will spin the throne to the right, therefore lowering it.

A lefty like Bo will usually spin the throne leftwards therefore raising it. Obviously he's in the Eastern hemisphere but lives in California. See how time travel works? ;)

Just a funny observation.

My woman sits on a drum throne at her work desk (I've trained her well!! HAHA) and she said to me "This seat lowers itself over time" and I said "Because you dismount to the right and then spin the seat once to make it back into place".

We in the Western world run clockwise so most right-handed folks will spin the throne to the right, therefore lowering it.

A lefty like Bo will usually spin the throne leftwards therefore raising it. Obviously he's in the Eastern hemisphere but lives in California. See how time travel works? ;)

Just a funny observation.

But I don't leave my throne loose. I keep it from spinning. I knew a guy who sat on a spinning throne and he developed lower back issues later in life.

You're a funny guy Bill!

But I don't leave my throne loose. I keep it from spinning. I knew a guy who sat on a spinning throne and he developed lower back issues later in life.

You're a funny guy Bill!

Obviously your throne thinks it's Linda Blair. Pretty soon it's gonna start spewing some sort of green effluvia. THEN WHAT

On another note I just ate a bowl of Progresso split pea soup loaded with about 1/3 a bottle of Sriracha...so I think there's some sort of explosive effluvia in MY future!

I just went through setting up my kit again, (and probably will again soon, something ain't right), and the kick size definitely effects how the toms are placed. I find that my 12" x 9" has to be setup uncomfortably close to denting my bass drum hoop but that's the only place it fits. Setting it up higher would make it awkward to play and as would placing it on a flatter angle.

I swear there are drum throne trolls who live under my drum kit and lower my seat when I'm not around.

You too!!!! Drives me nuts because I don't realize it until it is well, noticeable!

In my case though I use the Roc n Soc that adjusts by turning the seat. I try to remember to check the height before a gig.

You must be one of the small percentage that likes that Catapult pedal?[/QUOTE]

Tha Catapult will do anything a speed king can do, beyond that you will probably need a double pedal anyway.It is a big pedal and it leaves your foot where it usually is and pushes the bass drum forward so you can change where your snare and toms sit. For this reason I like it and all the haters can eat it.

You must be one of the small percentage that likes that Catapult pedal?

Tha Catapult will do anything a speed king can do, beyond that you will probably need a double pedal anyway.It is a big pedal and it leaves your foot where it usually is and pushes the bass drum forward so you can change where your snare and toms sit. For this reason I like it and all the haters can eat it.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to take a second look if I can find one to see. I couldn't get my head around it when it first came out.

Back