How should I play this? (Wilcoxin)

BeyondClarity

I'm going through Wilcoxin's The All American Drummer and there's a bit I'm not too sure on (from solo #3).

Should I play this as a 5 stroke roll preceded by a drag, or play it as a 7 stroke roll? Or are both interpretations correct?

FunkyFeets

I'm going through Wilcoxin's The All American Drummer and there's a bit I'm not too sure on (from solo #3).

Should I play this as a 5 stroke roll preceded by a drag, or play it as a 7 stroke roll? Or are both interpretations correct?
a 7 stroke roll. Starting on the second sixteenth note of the beat(the e)

brady

Platinum Member
a 7 stroke roll. Starting on the second sixteenth note of the beat(the e)
Is that what it is? I asked my teacher about a similar measure a while back and he said it should be counted in triplets.

Is that what Wilcoxin had in mind here? The 7-stroke roll counted as 'and-trip-let 2'...with the drag on the front?

jazzin'

Silver Member
Is that what it is? I asked my teacher about a similar measure a while back and he said it should be counted in triplets.

Is that what Wilcoxin had in mind here? The 7-stroke roll counted as 'and-trip-let 2'...with the drag on the front?
I think you might be thinking of just a straight 7 stroke roll across the value of an eighth note (which is very common in snare studies), which would start on the upbeat usually (of an eighth note) and yes, it is counted in triplets but in 16th note triplets. It is the same length as a 5 stroke but you play the main sticking as 16th note triplets. By 'main' I mean the outlining sticking ie. RLRL and then you double the first three with the last L landing on the beat.

The example above can, and should, be interpreted both ways. Strictly, you should play it as a straight 7 stroke, but I personally think it sounds much better and has a hipper vibe when you play it as a crushed drag into the 5 stroke.