How should I go about making a drum riser?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I want to make one myself for use mostly in my basement. I play on some thick carpet and I have issues with my hi hat tipping over, uneven levels of stands, etc.

My footprint is pretty massive and I have to construct it in pieces so I can transfer it up and down the basement stairs that turn at a right angle.

I am already planning on drilling holes for wires if I ever do use this thing live. Currently I am brainstorming on how I should section off the riser and what materials to use.

Would plywood for the floor and 2x4's for rising the floor suffice or are there sturdier (yet cost effective) materials out there?

2x4 and plywood is fine for a stationary riser.
It will be heavy to carry even in sections for a portable riser.
You would need to use 1/2 inch or thicker plywood with a 2x4 every 12 inches to keep it from sagging.
Most people make basement risers stationary.
I saw a higher riser that was made from plastic milk crates with plywood over them.
That worked real well.

Your probably best off buying something like this. This one is 6x6 feet and it breaks into 3x3 foot sections. http://www.pssl.com/!9506qCZa8jBzYvJreXqtwQ!/IntelliStage-6-High-Drum-Riser--s

Last edited:
Mine is made from 1/2 plywood glued and screwed, It is made from 2 - 3'x6' sections about 12" deep and has 2 ribs made out of 1/2 plywood 2 ' apart in each section as well to give it strength. Its covered with foam back carpet on top plus a piano hinge in the middle and a couple HD casters and 4 latches on each side so it folds up locks together and rolls. I drilled holes and notched the 2 ribs in each section so I can slide all my stands in at full length with only having to fold the legs up so the riser also doubles as my hardware case as well. (FYI I get all 4 stands, snare stand, high hat stand, double pedal plus a total of 6 mike stands all strapped in at full length) The legs of the hardware leave dents in the carpet where they sit so its makes for easy positioning of the stands for a fast and easy set up with perfect placement every time. Been using it now for over 10 years and its lots strong. You can see in the pics that its positioned with the seam between the 2 sections running length wise under the middle of the bass drum, pedal and throne for maximum support. Sorry I cant find the pics of it flipped over with all the hardware inside it. Next time I load it up I will take a couple pics but I think you can get the idea.
285697_10150876332005001_829835000_19839848_8284020_n.jpg

263940_10150867240980001_829835000_19740231_4393696_n.jpg

EDIT: new pics have been added to this thread.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1049058#post1049058

Last edited:
You might want to consider punched light gauge metal. It's harder to cut and you would need to smooth or cover exposed edges, but it would be light and your wiring holes wouldn't be a problem.

If not, I would make small sections. That is going to be hard to haul up and down stairs. I'm a structural engineer in my day job, so I am familiar with framing issues.

If you dont really need a riser for anything you could just put a piece or 2 of plywood down on your carpet and another pc of carpet (thin drum rug) over them. cheaper and easier unless you really want one to take out. Sounds like a lot of work.

I built one with 2x4s and 3/4 ply on top and wrapped it in carpet and its heavy as hell but sturdy. Even if I made it in 4 pcs it would still be heavy and just one more thing to take if you played out (not that I do).

Wonder if you could find some solid foam like the exercise steps they have at the gym. Maybe larger blocks so you could use less of them and cover them with a rug?

My concern with that would be the flex it would give. It's made give rebound which might cause an issue.

hauling around a plywood/2x4 riser is going to be a pain. I did it a few times and that was enough. Heavy, bulky and hard as heck to transport. If it's a matter of the stands just being uneven on the carpet try just throwing down a piece of plywood, lay an area rug over top and see how that does.

Mine is pretty simple. I got a few pallets from a local warehouse, laid down some 1/2" plywood, and then covered it in carpet I got for free. Simple, sturdy, cheap and easy.

Back