How OCD are you about your set up?

Imagine a little bird is living its life, trying to be as normal as possible. It just wants to build a little nest. But building the nest will never stop because the bird can't stop building the nest.
Let's not make light of other peoples' situations.

Why are you still here, then? That's entirely your issue, mate. Not mine.

And I suggest that you take a look at a diagnostic manual, because OCD is not a personality disorder...
I think people get "obsessed" with making sure the logos are a certain way etc. I dont believe they are downplaying the severity of actual OCD.
It is just a way of relating that feeling of making sure things are a certain way or it has an effect on the person. OCD is a crippling disorder, I watched my friend struggle to leave a room with performing certain "rituals" that he didn't even realize he was doing and with every ounce of resistance in his body, he still could not perform out of order or skip before he left the room. I hear the term OCD used a lot out of context but it doesn't make it right. When someone says "this a a cancer on society" or something like that I dont take offense, and I like most people have lost loved ones and family member to cancer, but I know they are not using the term to downplay or disparage anyone, it's just human nature to change wording around at times.

I align the logos on the heads to facilitate quick setups. The logo is right where the tom mount, or in the case of floor toms, where the far side would be. Other than that, I don't mark heights on anything. I adjust things to where they feel comfortable. Not difficult unless you have many, many cymbals (which I don't).
hahaha I set my floor tom close and need the legs to not interfere with my bass drum pedal/foot. I ALWAYS forget which way I'm supposed to face the logo though so every time I set up, I still have to adjust the floor tom by rotating it a little. You would think I would remember by now.

Who isn't particular with their drums? 90% or more of drummers I've encountered do the same thing with the logos. It's not weird, it's common as air.

It's in our best interest to set up for maximum comfort. Everyone does it to some extent. Some more than others.

We are talking adout being "fussy" about setting up our drums. Whether we use "OCD, Anal Retentive, Picky, Obsessed, Crazy or Loony is not the issue. Is is not a discussion about the legal medical definition of terms as applied to life, or setting up drums. Stay on subject, or say nothing. Thank you.

We are talking adout being "fussy" about setting up our drums. Whether we use "OCD, Anal Retentive, Picky, Obsessed, Crazy or Loony is not the issue. Is is not a discussion about the legal medical definition of terms as applied to life, or setting up drums. Stay on subject, or say nothing. Thank you.

Sorry Grunt, I think you’ve utterly missed the point.

Maybe - as you mods can’t agree on this - you might want to have a chat between yourselves.

Last edited:
Sorry Grunt, I think you’ve utterly missed the point.

Maybe - as you mods can’t agree on this - you might want to have a chat between yourselves.
I understand Andy's and I agree, however, I'm sure the OP had no intention , and maybe no better word or Abbreviation at the time to address his concern. I'm sure all of you have seen the Slang Dictionary. I also don't see why Andy and I have to agree on this totally any more than I'm going to call the trunk of my car, the boot. Everyone knew what he meant and everything was fine until you decided to insert your informed career ideas into a thread where is wasn't needed. You knew he wasnt' talking about a medical condition, and so did everyone else. Just leave it if you disagree or send the "offender" a PM.

I understand Andy's and I agree, however, I'm sure the OP had no intention , and maybe no better word or Abbreviation at the time to address his concern. I'm sure all of you have seen the Slang Dictionary. I also don't see why Andy and I have to agree on this totally any more than I'm going to call the trunk of my car, the boot. Everyone knew what he meant and everything was fine until you decided to insert your informed career ideas into a thread where is wasn't needed. You knew he wasnt' talking about a medical condition, and so did everyone else. Just leave it if you disagree or send the "offender" a PM.

So I made the suggestions via-a-vis language and then the original poster decides to bring up issues from a thread he posted 8 years ago? And you’re admonishing me for picking a fight?

What’s the policy on that, Grunt? Why aren’t you asking him to mind himself?

I don’t think you actually have a justification and have unilaterally gone with your gut feeling. You’re the mod, your decision...

So I made the suggestions via-a-vis language and then the original poster decides to bring up issues from a thread he posted 8 years ago? And you’re admonishing me for picking a fight?

What’s the policy on that, Grunt? Why aren’t you asking him to mind himself?

I don’t think you actually have a justification and have unilaterally gone with your gut feeling. You’re the mod, your decision...
I never accused anyoneof picking a fight. I tried to delete all of the posts where you and he disagreed and were off subject. Since both of your posts were deleted, I have done nothing unilaterally. Your use of the term is proper. His was simply using one of slang or even mis-used common language, but was it worth 15 posts of off-subject rhetoric. If you feel slighted I apologize. Using words like "you're the mod, your decision", do nothing.

No mention here about picking fights over issues that occurred eight years ago. Which is what really brought the attention - not the discussion over the definitions of words. Prior to that, I don't think we were having an issue.

Both of my kit set ups are very particular.

Tom angles, throne and snare heights, cymbal height and angles, orientation of my pedals...... everything.

My entire kit set ups are by design and very deliberate......that's the main catalyst for me investing in a drum rack. That thing is my absolute saviour.

I'm very OTT (Over the Top) regarding my kits.

I genuinely get stressed and can't settle behind a backline kit until I fiddle as much as I can......I feel so sorry for stage managers that have to deal with me.

I absolutely hate backline kits with an absolute passion.

I have very little flexibility and backline kits is one aspect of my life where I'm not easygoing at all.

The ironic thing is when it comes to buying a house or a new car, I couldn't care less and don't even think about it.

I don’t feel like I have an option to be “anal” about my setup. Sometimes I play full kit, sometimes just snare and hats. And I don’t feel it’s productive to get too used to a specific setup because it will just limit me from sitting in on gigs or on using back line kits. I have 3 kits setup in my basement with different pedals, layouts, and sticks. One kit is a lefty and two are righty. I switch sticks multiple times during a practice session, too. I think it all helps me be a better AND more flexible player.

I don’t feel like I have an option to be “anal” about my setup. Sometimes I play full kit, sometimes just snare and hats. And I don’t feel it’s productive to get too used to a specific setup because it will just limit me from sitting in on gigs or on using back line kits. I have 3 kits setup in my basement with different pedals, layouts, and sticks. One kit is a lefty and two are righty. I switch sticks multiple times during a practice session, too. I think it all helps me be a better AND more flexible player.

That is actually a bloody GREAT idea!

I could set up my bop kit differently.

I dunno how you guys do it with just sliding in on a different kit and just start playing.

I dunno how you guys do it with just sliding in on a different kit and just start playing.

I can’t speak for purely drum set guys, but I absolutely know that folks who played in concert bands, musical theater, and especially percussion ensembles a lot during school find it easier. Most percussion ensemble pieces require you to play at least 3 different instruments, sometimes switching between them in less than a second. A lot of concert band and even some orchestral music requires quick instrument or mallet changes.

The most useful aspect of all that for drum set is that you have to design these sometimes-complex setups yourself, and adjust them until you can make the changes easily. After you’ve been through that process several dozens of times, adjusting to a different drum kit setup is much easier.

I'm not OCD about much, but I like things to look decent to those who see me play. So a level kick logo is important, just so it doesn't look ragged to others. And some appearance things are less important to me, such as fingerprints or aging of cymbals. And while I prefer consistency in how my kit is arranged, my tolerances vary. Snare and throne height are important, but cymbal placement can vary a bit. Floor tom height is generally at snare height, but I don't insist on it. Rack tom may vary by an inch or two and not even be noticeable to me.

On tour it's a different matter, where a rug is spiked and just about everything else is on a rack and memory-lock'd for 100% consistent set-up night to night. But I do that because I don't handle my gear - just about anybody who can read numbers would get the kit right. But if I did handle my gear, I would still keep the rack and settings, because it makes set-up faster and simpler.

Bermuda

While I hope to be good enough to drum with a group someday, I have no illusions that it would be soon, so my drums are stationary, and the only ones I play.
I set them up for ease of play, and, after that, I noted their placement. I can definitely tell when something is out of place.

The logos on heads from my perspective, while I have intended to make them all "proper and matchy" is really no different from the logos on the cymbals... It's just visual noise, and I usually tune it out.

I do tend to dust off the cymbals and kit often, though... ;) I like a clean kit.

I’m extremely particular about my setup. Everything should be just so. All drums and cymbals angled properly, rims at the right level and angle, and on and on.

But my setup changes all the time. So today’s tom and cymbal positions might not work with tomorrow’s setup, like if I’m changing from a 4 piece to a 6 piece or dumping the cymbal stack or whatever.

Head logos are aligned with Tom mounts. Snare head logo at 12 o’clock.

But, unless the manufacturer is paying me, all bass drum logo heads are either removed or rotated 90 or 180 degrees. (Also, sideways logos look cool.)

Fingerprints on cymbals?! Avoid at all times!

I set them up and play them. Everything but my cymbal stands are always the same. Peace and goodwill.

Back