How OCD are you about your set up?

cdrums21

Gold Member
I think you can tell a lot about a drummer by the way his/her set up looks. I’m OCD in a lot of areas about my kit. I have to have the logos on the heads lined up with the grommet hole/badge and have them facing directly away from me, 12:00 position on the toms when I look at them. I used a small level to make sure the Ludwig logo on the front of the kick drum was completely straight and the bottom line of the logo is parallel to the floor. I have to have my crash cymbals in the front the same height and perfectly level, and all my cymbals level, with the exception of my 24” ride being slightly tilted toward me. I like my two floor toms to be flat too, but there is a slight tilt to my 18”. It looks flat from the audience though. I just like things to look sharp, neat and precise. Don’t know why. No decals, bumper stickers, weird angles......I need help 😳

gbphantom

I think you can tell a lot about a drummer by the way his/her set up looks. I’m OCD in a lot of areas about my kit. I have to have the logos on the heads lined up with the grommet hole/badge and have them facing directly away from me, 12:00 position on the toms when I look at them. I used a small level to make sure the Ludwig logo on the front of the kick drum was completely straight and the bottom line of the logo is parallel to the floor. I have to have my crash cymbals in the front the same height and perfectly level, and all my cymbals level, with the exception of my 24” ride being slightly tilted toward me. I like my two floor toms to be flat too, but there is a slight tilt to my 18”. It looks flat from the audience though. I just like things to look sharp, neat and precise. Don’t know why. No decals, bumper stickers, weird angles......I need help 😳
I am the same exact way, so don't feel too bad. ;) I was terrible for a while about placement and everything always being at the same exact height, so marked the standsand never folded them down all the way to ensure they were never a mm off. I try to not let it effect me mentally at shows now, but for a years I would fall apart if I played a different setup on a house kit.

Juniper

Gold Member
In my heads I like my Remo logos to be straight and the right side up, in terms of the line of sight (I don't like them to be fitted sideways/upside down for example).

Other than that I'm not massively OCD about things, I think!!

Last edited:

notvinnie

I align the logos on the heads to facilitate quick setups. The logo is right where the tom mount, or in the case of floor toms, where the far side would be. Other than that, I don't mark heights on anything. I adjust things to where they feel comfortable. Not difficult unless you have many, many cymbals (which I don't).

NouveauCliche

I'm right on part with you - just different angles on the cymbals.

A head logo off center or on the bottom for toms drives me absolutely nuts.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Yeah the head logos at 12 o'clock, guilty as charged.

Only thing I'm fussy about is snare and ride position. You know if something is slightly out. Everything else is near enough each time.

C.M. Jones

I'd say I'm extremely fastidious about my setup. Head logos, badges, cymbal angles, stand heights -- they all must fulfill my precise demands. I tolerate no mutiny from equipment. In a world as haphazard and perilous as ours, my drum kit is the only domain where I can expect both pervasive safety and prompt obedience. It's a haven of harmony I can find nowhere else.

I think I'll sit on my throne for a while to collect myself.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Bass reso head must have a level logo. Snare reso head logo is never under the wires. Snare batter head logo cannot be outside the 10 o’clock-to-2 o’clock range (I tried it upside down and was pissed that it bothered me). Snare drum, bass drum, throne must be in the proper positions. The other stuff I’m flexible about.

OutlawX

😂 I also have habits with Drumheads etc etc.And Also the way I will never again play a single bass drum kit.,. 😂

Good Karma

Very ocd, if something is a 1/4" off. I'm moving it. That might seem crazy, but it has to feel comfortable.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I do line up the logos on heads with the badge. My kit is on a rack with everything memory locked, so there isn't much variation in placement/set up. I also mark my rug for placement of the rack, snare stand, & throne. It's to speed up set up, and not an OCD thing.
If I didn't do this, set up would take forever.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Not that it’s an issue right now but.....I don’t understand how drummers who are this picky OCD can actually gig, it must be torturous. Playing live requires a fair amount of flexibility, kit shares, house kits, or cramped weird stage the list goes on. In my experience it’s vital to be able to play any set list on a standard 4 or 5 piece kit. Sure I like my throne, hats and snare to be within certain height reach parameters and not move or wobble about too much but that’s about it. Aligning drum head logos that have no sonic or visual effect on the audience seems silly; the time spent doing this would be better used playing/listening.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Can we please stop using the term 'OCD' for things that are not actually OCD-related? What you mean is 'particular'. How 'particular' are you. Do you think that something bad will happen if you don't set your kit up properly? Like your Mum dying? No? Do you have to obsessively check it before leaving the house? No. Do you feel like killing yourself because the cymbal felts are a little grubby? No?

Do you spend a lot of time setting up tom angles because it's your playing preference? Yes? Well, that's 'being particular'.

Please. The mis-use of the term 'OCD' has caused a lot of issues for people that actually have OCD and really doesn't help with the stigma and understanding.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Can we please stop using the term 'OCD' for things that are not actually OCD-related? What you mean is 'particular'. How 'particular' are you. Do you think that something bad will happen if you don't set your kit up properly? Like your Mum dying? No? Do you have to obsessively check it before leaving the house? No. Do you feel like killing yourself because the cymbal felts are a little grubby? No?

Do you spend a lot of time setting up tom angles because it's your playing preference? Yes? Well, that's 'being particular'.

Please. The mis-use of the term 'OCD' has caused a lot of issues for people that actually have OCD and really doesn't help with the stigma and understanding.
A good reminder to all Duncan. OCD can be a severely impacting condition for those suffering, but it has (wrongly) become normalised for even moderate examples of passion for detail.

Rotarded

Let's just say I have spent over 2 weeks tinkering with the rack set-up on my newest kit so everything will be symmetrical and in exactly the right place, each and every time I set up my kit for a gig. Everything is leveled and memory locked, all heads have been turned so the logos are at the badges. All cymbals are at the same stepped levels, and same slight angles. Bass drum leveled, logo leveled, and fold out spurs angles matched and memory locked.... I'm probably particular, and perhaps perculiar.

I AM however clinically diagnosed with A.D.D., and I am married to a clinically diagnosed anally retentive wife, with mild O.C.D., It does sicken me to hear people who are "self diagnosed" and use these terms loosely to downplay shortcomings, and/or chosen personal behaviors, that have no idea of the what the conditions actually are, or implications of these conditions.

Last edited:

gish

I do like to have the head logos facing me, like others have mentioned. Other than that I don’t sweat the small stuff. I’ve played so many gigs over the years where kits were shared and unable to be adjusted that it doesn’t bother me too much if heights and angles are off compared to how I set my kit up. I don’t use memory locks on my cymbal or snare stands; I just get them in the ball park and I’m good. I do have a memory lock on my hat stand though, but that’s mainly to ensure the bottom hat doesn’t drop from my size 14 stomping on the pedal all night.