How (not) to clean a coated (bass reso) head

eric_B

BTW: I searched but couldn't find a recent thread so started this one.

As I might get back to playing in a band again after a 7 year break I took the band drum set out of its bags to check and tune them.
It turned out the nylon bag left an imprint on the white reso head:

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

I don't care much for marks on the heads of the other drums (no one else but me can see or cares about them) but the bass reso is visible by the audience - and a white reso should be nice and white.

So I tried the usual mild to stronger cleaning methods: a towel, a brush (made it worse), a dry cloth, a slightly wet cloth and then a slightly wet cloth with a bit of soap.
Not much luck so I tried a bit of diluted alcohol on a spot on the edge. Not the best idea as the coating vanished rapidly 😞:

IMG_3262.jpg

I don't know who makes Gretsch heads (Evans or Remo?) but apparently alcohol doesn't go well with this type of coating.
I read other tips varying from Magic Eraser pads to even mayonnaise :rolleyes:
Some other suggestions?

BTW: I ordered a new head - not cheap at EUR 64 or 69 USD for a branded Gretsch one - and will keep this one for experimenting.

Almost certainly Evans. Alcohol removes their coating, but doesn't bother Remo's.
Aha, I see. Any suggestions for cleaning Evans coating?

As I might get back to playing in a band again after a 7 year break I took the band drum set out of its bags to check and tune them.

View attachment 118207

View attachment 118208

I don't care much for marks on the heads of the other drums (no one else but me can see or cares about them) but the bass reso is visible by the audience - and a white reso should be nice and white.

So I tried the usual mild to stronger cleaning methods: a towel, a brush (made it worse), a dry cloth, a slightly wet cloth and then a slightly wet cloth with a bit of soap.
Not much luck so I tried a bit of diluted alcohol on a spot on the edge. Not the best idea as the coating vanished rapidly 😞:

View attachment 118209

I don't know who makes Gretsch heads (Evans or Remo?) but apparently alcohol doesn't go well with this type of coating.
Some other suggestions?

BTW: I ordered a new head - not cheap at EUR 64 or 69 USD for a branded Gretsch one - and will keep this one for experimenting.
could try windex on a little test spot

I

View attachment 118207

View attachment 118208

View attachment 118209

Some other suggestions?

I'd be seriously unimpressed by that drum bag.

Wh

What is 'mild' dish soap?
I've never seen dish soap sold in different strengths: eg. Aggressive Dish Soap.
The usual Dawn, Palmolive, etc.

Mild as compared to caustic or abrasive cleaners, that's all. But I suspect you knew that. 😉

I really like having the drum company logo on my reso BUT I also like specific aftermarket reso heads more then even higher end factory heads so I buy the head I want then buy a logo decal for typically $5-$8. The decal is the important part, you don't just want a sticker as stickers eventually peel and you can always see the border (even on clear back stickers). Decals are made to be more weather resistant and withstand tuning changes and the vibration of the head, they also just plain look nicer.

Etsy is a great source for these. Make sure to order a few, it usually ends up being cheaper and shipping shouldn't cost more. I recently got Tama decals like this, the person wanted something like $6 or $8 each and shipping was something like $4-$5... I asked for a bulk deal and got x3 for $15 total including shipping.

I'd be seriously unimpressed by that drum bag.
Agreed, it was one made by Gewa. It is a step up from cheap 'dustcovers' and works ok for keeping cheaper drums save during not too rough transport.
But it has no padding on the inside and apparently isn't meant for storing drums for a longer time.

Although I probably would have no issues with the stock black reso head but I like a white one better with the cherry red drum.

Last edited:
I really like having the drum company logo on my reso BUT I also like specific aftermarket reso heads more then even higher end factory heads so I buy the head I want then buy a logo decal for typically $5-$8. The decal is the important part, you don't just want a sticker as stickers eventually peel and you can always see the border (even on clear back stickers). Decals are made to be more weather resistant and withstand tuning changes and the vibration of the head, they also just plain look nicer.

Etsy is a great source for these. Make sure to order a few, it usually ends up being cheaper and shipping shouldn't cost more. I recently got Tama decals like this, the person wanted something like $6 or $8 each and shipping was something like $4-$5... I asked for a bulk deal and got x3 for $15 total including shipping.
Good point, I did consider a Evans or Remo reso head. I agree that a sticker won't look as good as a decal.

Etsy is a good suggestion, I'm over in The Netherlands though so I don't know how much shipping would be.
A quick search came up with a drum shop in the UK selling them for GBP 4 (5 USD), I'll see if I can find one here in NL.

I've given up trying to clean coated heads. I've tried everything short of sandblasting and nothing works. The only way I'm keeping coated heads clean is by scrubbing up before I touch them.

Back