How Much Would You Pay for a Pitted Supraphonic?

jdavis

Was just looking at some used Ludwig 6.5" Supraphonics and was curious how much pitting affects the resale value?

For instance, I found an LM402 (a few years old, keystone badge, imperial lugs) that seemed to be in decent condition aside from a moderate amount of pitting on the shell and the seller was asking $350. Does this seem like a fair price or would you try to negotiate a better deal?

Just curious, TIA!

$350 is in the ballpark for a moderately pitted Supra. They cost $700 new in 2024, which is crazy. You could always try talking him down a little.

I wouldn't buy it with resale value in mind. Buy it because it's a Supra and it sounds better than almost any other snare out there. Even with pitting it will still sound fantastic.

Pitting doesn't bother me much but I think the price is a little high. I have a pitted LM400 pointed badge era, I can't see any pitts when I'm playing it 😁😁😁

I don't like owning /looking at/ pitted Things

😁 Serious for 350-400 you can do better how I see it
But you'd have to switch to Gretsch so I guess you're stuck :)
Plenty of 60s70s80s COB gretsch with nary a hoop pit but... it's a different -rounded-diecast- sound
Maybe Slingerland 6.5 COB but their Throws are a throw up.

I think pitting on a Supra is a death knell for Resell
(rhymed didn't it..

I think I paid around €150 for this 60’s one at an auction 5 years ago. It belonged to Dutch jazz legend John Engels.

1713095930375.png

Sold it for about €125 more a year later.

You can clean chrome quite nicely but real pitting (bubbles under the plating) can only be removed by re-plating.

Here is the early 60’s Gretsch cob project I sold for €135,- bucks.

E95D16DD-1F06-417D-B7D9-11E089FB8859.jpeg

That cleaned up good.

There still is a big difference in price regards to a US located sale, or other parts of the world (usually more expensive).

Last edited:
I don't like owning /looking at/ pitted Things
I agree. Even though it's an OK price, I think I'll pay a little more and get one without the pitting.

And, I agree on the Gretsch snares. Used to have an 80s COB that I loved. A bit different sound than the Supra, but a good one. (y)

If I was in the market, I'd try to find the ugliest, pitted-up Supra I could find, especially if it was from the 1960s. Since they are so ugly, they are usually much cheaper than the pristine versions. No one sees the snare, but you better believe everyone will hear it.

For me, it totally depends on the kind of pitting and the extent of it. There’s everything from “stardust” micro pitting to full-on flakes falling off the chrome.

For a long time I was looking to buy a Beverley Cosmic 21 snare (which was a close knockoff of the Supra). But I wanted the closest thing to pristine that I could possibly find. Often, when you see one, they’re going for ridiculous prices. But I waited, took my time, kept looking. I finally found a beautiful drum with “stardust” pitting. Stardust looks exactly like how it sounds: very fine dots, evenly spread all over. Almost looks like it was deliberately finished that way. And you can’t even see it unless you look closely under a bright light. That was quite the score, and I got it for only $350.

Before I found that, I also bought two really clean examples of a Premier 6021, which was their 8-lug version of the Cosmic 21. Both had very minor pitting, small, and barely breaking the surface.

All three drums were under the pitting threshold I set for myself. It was more a patina than noticeable pitting. So I’d say it all comes down to what do you want? Does it matter to you? Obviously the drum will sound the same either way. But I think most people would draw the line at some point. I wouldn’t want big flakes falling off in the drum case, or whenever I touched it.

Bottom line: Less pitting=higher price I’d pay. Feel free to pass on something that doesn’t float your boat. Don’t worry, there are plenty of drums out there, and you’ll find exactly what you want at your price.

Was just looking at some used Ludwig 6.5" Supraphonics and was curious how much pitting affects the resale value?

For instance, I found an LM402 (a few years old, keystone badge, imperial lugs) that seemed to be in decent condition aside from a moderate amount of pitting on the shell and the seller was asking $350. Does this seem like a fair price or would you try to negotiate a better deal?

Just curious, TIA!
Buy it . Or if thats too much get a new Supralite for $200

I ended up passing on it. Decent deal, but I'll spend a little extra for something that doesn't trigger my OCD, hahaha.

I hear good things about the Supralite. May have to check one out sometime soon! (y)
My Supralite is for sale because I picked up a Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB. Maybe try to listen to one of those before you buy a Supralite (unless you want to buy mine 😁). The Sound Kings are $350 if they’re in excellent condition.

Back