How much thought do you put into what you wear at a gig?

Wait....you guys actually wear a shirt while your playing drums?

If it's a big gig I like to dress up. That FU t-shirt isn't "Fired Up" LOL. After the gig I destroy my kit (in flames of course) -then I explode, and my head rolls off. The audience loves it.
Then just when the audience thinks I'm dead-I come back like a Phoenix from the corpse. Ready for the next concert-after a little metamorphosis.

Attachments

• 3544C46A00000578-3641068-image-a-54_1465916992065.jpg
    3544C46A00000578-3641068-image-a-54_1465916992065.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Ash-dies-in-Alien.jpg
    Ash-dies-in-Alien.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8
  • alienemerging.jpg
    alienemerging.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 5
My wife puts all the thought into what I wear lol. She says you can never go wrong with all black, So I have a black T-shirt for casual/ bars and a black Oxford shirt for jazz clubs and better venues. And a pair of black pants.

My wife puts all the thought into what I wear lol. She says you can never go wrong with all black, So I have a black T-shirt for casual/ bars and a black Oxford shirt for jazz clubs and better venues. And a pair of black pants.
In orchestra-always black-shirt, and pants. On occasion a tux.

I have a black button-up short sleeved shirt I wear all the time when I play and black low-top Chucks I wear with black socks. I may get a pair of black jeans to go with it.

I used to wear various black, collared, untucked, button down shirts all the time. Like in my avi. With black jeans usually. Boring! So many others on stage wear black that I stopped doing it. I got kind of sick of it. It's almost cliche now to me. Now I just do a nice plain colored T (with no words on it) with jeans and boots. Easy ironing and I don't look like I'm trying to vie for attention. Simple. Like me.

Last edited:
you can never go wrong with all black, So I have a black T-shirt for casual/ bars and a black Oxford shirt better venues.

+1

My bass player ( on the left) - always looks like a hobo no matter where we're playing:cautious:

Attachments

• IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 9
It only takes a few minutes to decide on an appropriate outfit. Sometimes it's a tie and jacket, sometimes it's a t-shirt with curse words on it. Always dress appropriately for the gig.

As much thought as I put into what I wear in the morning. Im usually on stage in whatever pair of pants/band shirt I had on that day.

With my original band, my guitarist usually seems to come out looking like he just got back from a casual business appointment at a golf course. I hate it. So I don't put too much effort into my look either; I usually wear jeans and a concert T-shirt like I wear pretty much every day.

For the upcoming Rush tribute shows, I'll probably wear some sort of semi-retro jeans/T-shirt for the first set, but for the second set we'll be coming out looking like wizards in our totally-not-actually-Japanese silk robes.

When in doubt, I just wear black. It's an old habit from playing musicals, and it keeps me from gathering too much attention.

Remember - it's a performance. Wardrobe is part of the performance it establishes persona before you play. You never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression.

Haven't gigged since the 70s. We just dressed like rock stars and called it a day. :cool:

For my worship band gig, it's Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sandals...Unless it's a special day, then it's a black long sleeved shirt, black slacks, and dress shoes.

Ah yes, the threads are the second facet of showmanship.
Wailing Smash pearls of wisdom right there. I love that guy. Threads. I haven't heard that since the 70's.

You should get and wear this T-shirt. It will show that you are a serious musician and know what good music is.

Image result for Tool wrench t shirt

Pretty much jeans always (no shorts) and my blue Chuck Taylors that match the kit. Shirt may be blue also, or black but varies each gig depending on mood.

It's either black'n'white for the gigs that require that and for other gigs just my own casual or going out stuff.

I thought about it once, but as your typical guy I don't think about things twice unless it's important. ?

I have a gig coming up in November playing with an indie praise and worship artist and I've never been more confused about dressing myself in my life. Do I wear a vest? Stick with plaid? Jeans or dress pants? Do I need to buy a pair of Clark's Desert Boots? Which cape?

How do you decide how to dress for gigs?
To answer this question seriously, I've done a couple of gigs like this. Typically the dress is pretty casual - jeans, athletic shoes, and a t-shirt will more than likely be fine. If you think that the t-shirt is a bit too lax or casual, go with a button-down - it shouldn't need to be plaid.

Back