How much thought do you put into what you play at a gig?

trickg

Silver Member
Every gig is different, even if you're playing a part off of a page. You may play similarly and consistently to what you did the last time you played it, but the nuances are always going to be different.

That said, I'm pretty consistent in what I play because like others have said, the music itself drives how I approach the part, whether it's drums or trumpet.

danondrums

Good responses. I’m glad most are not going about their gigs like wild cowboys. :)

I like the approach of having a simple and grooving drum part that doesn’t change for the most part and leaving a measure here or there open to whatever happens.

I’m definitely a lot more meticulous as I get older and am chuckling a bit about how I’m going about learning a bunch of tunes for a new group I’m playing with.

Playing with other musicians who stick to set parts helps a lot, especially guitar solos as those are great areas to syncopate.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I maintain our band's set lists. One for the other guys and one for me. Mine has notes on groove, stops, what cymbal to start on, and how song starts and ends. It's very condensed like less than 20 or so words per song. Sometimes nothing more than "4/4 Rock no stops". I don't use the notes for every song, just on an as-needed basis, more so for a new song added than one played for last 2 years. We're always trying out new material, so our sets are never the same gig to gig.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
I try to play completly different everytime i play a tune (and expect the other musicians to do the same). I would not want to be a musician if I would play everytime the same, it would be TO ME like watching always the same movie, even if it was a great movie, really boring.

I don´t prepare tunes at all (it is a long answer), I normally don´t even know which tune I´m going to play 2 seconds before I actually play it (more than 99% of the times) I just educate myself to be everyday more prepared to play spontaneous expanding my vocabulary and awareness, to react, and to try to be as hip as i can, playing with SURPRISE (or unnexpected) as i can too, opening the dialog and interaction, sugesting ideas, directions and always at the same time supporting.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I don't know but I was on Facebook and saw this and was wondering what is he thinking about? He's my hero..

To be honest, i can not really tell if he puts on an act or if thats sincere passion..

But if thats sincere passion, those people who laugh would wish they were like him..

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Curious: what kind of band or group ensemble are you in where you normally don´t even know which tune you're going to play 2 seconds before you actually play it? We rehearse once or twice a week and play gigs once or twice a month. Wed never consider showing up at a paid gig and not know what we're gonna play 2 seconds before we play it.

I try to play completly different everytime i play a tune (and expect the other musicians to do the same). I would not want to be a musician if I would play everytime the same, it would be TO ME like watching always the same movie, even if it was a great movie, really boring.

I don´t prepare tunes at all (it is a long answer), I normally don´t even know which tune I´m going to play 2 seconds before I actually play it (more than 99% of the times) I just educate myself to be everyday more prepared to play spontaneous expanding my vocabulary and awareness, to react, and to try to be as hip as i can, playing with SURPRISE (or unnexpected) as i can too, opening the dialog and interaction, sugesting ideas, directions and always at the same time supporting.

I play for our church group and we only practice as a band once so I try to play as close to the recording as I can so that the congregation knows what to expect and there are no surprises for the group.

MrPockets

Gold Member
Curious: what kind of band or group ensemble are you in where you normally don´t even know which tune you're going to play 2 seconds before you actually play it? We rehearse once or twice a week and play gigs once or twice a month. Wed never consider showing up at a paid gig and not know what we're gonna play 2 seconds before we play it.

It's a fun way to go about jazz and blues jams.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
Curious: what kind of band or group ensemble are you in where you normally don´t even know which tune you're going to play 2 seconds before you actually play it? (1) We rehearse once or twice a week and play gigs once or twice a month. Wed never consider showing up at a paid gig and not know what we're gonna play 2 seconds before we play it.(2)
1 - Jazz Gigs, and the norm is never rehearsal, and hardly you play with people you ever played, it might repeat or not, or just some people.

2 - The idea is to play great, not to rehearse and still not be able to play good (not necesarely talking about you)....hahah We are talking about superprofessional people...

Just to put myself out of the ecuation, could you play better rehearsing 1000 hours than Jeff Watts, Tony Williams, etc. not reharsing?

Some Friends of Canada:

Last edited:

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Right. Jams. Love them!

1 - Jazz Gigs, and the norm is never rehearsal, and hardly you play with people you ever played, it might repeat or not, or just some people.

2 - The idea is to play great, not to rehearse and still not be able to play good (not necesarely talking about you)....hahah We are talking about superprofessional people...

Just to put myself out of the ecuation, could you play better rehearsing 1000 hours than Jeff Watts, Tony Williams, etc. not reharsing?

Some Friends of Canada:

justadrummer

The past six years I've been playing in a rock and soul cover band. I found that I best served the interests of the band by playing things the same night after night. The singer knew what to expect and we put on a more consistent show.

We changed material quite a bit, adding twenty to twenty-five songs a year which kept things interesting.

drumbler

In my cover bands. I always bring to mind the feel, and groove of the original, before I count off, then slide into it. After a few months, I refresh my memory, by listening to the original, to see if I have strayed. I'm a very simple, lazy drummer, and sometimes I have to remind my self to hit more crashes.