How much should I cut off?

gish

So, I was THIS close a year and a half ago to having my 18x22 Saturn bass drum cut down to 14x22. However I wound up selling that kit. I now have a Tama Starclassic B/B with an 18x22 virgin bass drum. I really like this kit, and love the way the kick drum sounds as is. Looking for some opinions; what depth would you go with? 16” or 14”? Split the difference and go with 15”? I’m thinking 16” depth might not be an option; they might need to cut back further to fit the lugs properly. I’ll be going with Precision Drum Works when it’s time btw. Give me some suggestions.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
There's a little more punch to a 14 and a little more weight to a 16.

Me, I like to think that the original makers knew what they were doing when the chose a 14" depth.

I have a 22 x 20 DW, Burst finish. Which makes it problematic. I would love to get it cut down. I'd go 14 as I already have 2 - 22 x 16 bass drums. Precision Drum is a good suggestion. I'd use them too.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think jobs like these are less about opinion and more about your specific drum. Get a tape measure and see how much you'd have to cut off to remove where the batter side lugs are currently. That's how deep I'd go. Fortunately, Starclassic lugs are fairly small, and Tama mounts them pretty close to the bearing edge. You should be able to get a 14 or 15 inch depth without much trouble.

Precision does great work. I've had them recut several bearing edges and some shell cut downs too. They do fantastic work very quickly and I can't recommend them highly enough.

IBitePrettyHard

If you love the way the 18x22 sounds as is, why are you cutting it down?

You should leave it alone if you like it the way it is, unless you can't fit it into your car I guess? I wouldn't mess with it unless it's necessary.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Is cutting down a bass drum the new fad? I don’t get it.

Keep the 22x18.
Buy a 24x15.

gish

Is cutting down a bass drum the new fad? I don’t get it.

Keep the 22x18.
Buy a 24x15.
Deal. You find me a 14x22 or 15x24 Starclassic B/B in dark mocha fade, and I’ll buy it. I want to cut the drum down for the following reasons;
- easier portability
- takes up less stage space; I play a lot of gigs on small stages (more like corners on the floor)
- tired of the beer can look
- like the idea of more articulation
- like Larry stated I am also becoming more fond of traditional size drums
-in theory I like the idea of the drum being somewhat more controlled, naturally; should have to use less head treatment (muffling) to get the sound I want

I’ve played other 14x22’s that I’ve liked. Just haven’t played a drum that size with this kind of shell. I’m fairly certain I know what I’ll be getting sound wise, but it never hurts to ask others right?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
In that case go down to 14. It can be taken off the batter side so you don't have to mess with the spurs. The finish looks like it won't be an issue like a burst would.

TK-421

Me, I like to think that the original makers knew what they were doing when the chose a 14" depth.

Drum set bass drums originated from marching bass drums, which were (and still are) 14" deep because that size makes it comfortable to strike both heads while carrying it. So it had nothing to do with sound. Eventually, manufacturers realized they weren't beholden to 14" deep kicks, and began experimenting. Personally, I like 16-18" kicks, but I have nothing against 14".

cbphoto

Gold Member
Deal. You find me a 14x22 or 15x24 Starclassic B/B in dark mocha fade, and I’ll buy it. I want to cut the drum down for the following reasons;
- easier portability
- takes up less stage space; I play a lot of gigs on small stages (more like corners on the floor)
- tired of the beer can look
- like the idea of more articulation
- like Larry stated I am also becoming more fond of traditional size drums
-in theory I like the idea of the drum being somewhat more controlled, naturally; should have to use less head treatment (muffling) to get the sound I want

I’ve played other 14x22’s that I’ve liked. Just haven’t played a drum that size with this kind of shell. I’m fairly certain I know what I’ll be getting sound wise, but it never hurts to ask others right?
Okay. Do you want that with or without a tom mount bracket?

My point is, cutting down a drum is permanent. And with that choice comes all the negatives:
- It’s not in original condition
- The sonics are permanently changed

Having a second kick in a size you prefer gives you more options for future musical endeavors. You’re not stuck.

My question was an honest one. This isn’t the first thread or proposal about permanently altering a perfectly good bass drum.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
How far is the first bass drum lug hole to the edge.?? If you use the second hole as the front hole can you do 14 and still have a suitable bearing edge.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
How far is the first bass drum lug hole to the edge.?? If you use the second hole as the front hole can you do 14 and still have a suitable bearing edge.

I don't think that would work. Starclassic lugs are pretty small and I think the hole spacing is around an inch. You wouldn't be able to fit the head on the shell if the lug was that close to the new bearing edge.

Because of that small size I am pretty sure you could put the new edge just beyond the second hole and still have 15" easy, maybe close to 16".

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
So how far is the edge now from the outer hole? How far is the inner hole from the edge. If you cut off both holes and re-drill what will the depth be??

gish

Cut it all off - optimum portability & stage real estate.

Alternatively, cut the batter side to 14" depth & be forever happy.
Thanks Andy. I was pretty much set on going down to 14”; was more or less curious to hear from the naysayers.