How much is shipping?

Adam Bourque

About how much is average shipping of a drum set? Lets say a 5 piece and maybe a cymbal or 2?

As well as, how much is average for a cocktail drum set?

Thanks, Greatly Appreciate it.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Within the continental US a 5 piece drum kit costs between $50 and $75 to ship.
UPS and FEDEX base shipping primarily on weight. The charts are on their web sites.
The least expensive way to ship is to keep each box under 80 LBS.
Any box that is between 80 and 120 LBS cost more.
120 LBS is the max weight box that UPS ships in their standard ground system.

A Cocktail kit would probably ship for about $40 US

If you ship from a business address to another business address it cost a slight bit less.
I have large items shipped to my workplace frequently when I am paying the shipping.

It is also possible to save a slight bit on shipping by packing the item and bringing it to a UPS store to save a few dollars on shipping.
A one time pick up from your home cost slightly more that dropping the box and shipping from a UPS Store.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Weight is the main criteria but they also charge extra for size. they have a length plus height plus girth, distance around, that will come into effect with the bass drum.
And then of course from which zip to which zip. As Bob said go to one of the websites to get an idea. this from the UPS page

Attachments

Zickosdrummer

The question should not be "how much is shipping?", but, rather "how much is PACKING and shipping?" I just received a drum set in two boxes (tom nested in BD and tom nested in FT) and it took me over 30 min just to unpack it. I have no idea how long it took to pack it. The packing was spactular and the set got here in great condition (considering it was used - 35 years old - in the first plalce). The shipper deserves something for that. Time and packaging materials aren't free. And, to respond to bobdadrummer, the actual freight can be calculated from UPS or FedEx web sites. Be sure to put in the approxamate box size as there is usually an up charge for "theoratical weight".

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Yes, Put drums inside of each other. A five piece kit can fit in two boxes.
When I need to ship something I save the bubble wrap and boxes that come with items that are shipped to my work so I never buy packing materials.

razorx

Platinum Member
If you pack it yourself you can save some money. I know UPS ripped me off between 25 and 45 to pack and ship a few rides and crashes. They were packed individually. It's worth it though. They do a great job. I've never had a complaint.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
They didn't rip you off, They charged you for materials and labor to do a service for you.
You don't work for nothing, so why should they.
You had the option of packing yourself.
You also had the wrapping price quoted to you up front so you could have declined.

razorx

Platinum Member
They didn't rip you off, They charged you for materials and labor to do a service for you.
You don't work for nothing, so why should they.
You had the option of packing yourself.
You also had the wrapping price quoted to you up front so you could have declined.
I know they didn't rip me off per say. I was just shocked with the price. I had a bidder interested in my double pedal when i sold it. He was from russia. They were going to charge almost 200 bucks just to ship it. I'm glad that I at-least looked into that first.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Shipping between countries becomes a whole other ordeal.
It isn't the shipping company that is charging the high price per se.
Often there are many costs that are charged by the Customs department of the country.

When you ship something overseas, that means that the item will probably have to be loaded in a truck at your house, then onto a tractor trailer, then onto a train, then onto a plane, then a customs inspection, then onto a tractor trailer again, then onto a train again, then finally a truck will bring it to the recipient.
Thats a lot of handling!
That costs money.

Olliemets

Funny you should ask..

I Used UPS because it's most convenient for where I live.

I've sold lots of Snare Drums, and packed them myself. Packing materials cost money, but someone else's labor costs more. Question is; what's worth your time? Shipping on all of those ranged between 15 and 25 bucks.

I've sold 3 kits in past 3 years and lucked out with local delivery on the first 2. Sold a 4 piece DW last month and had to ship. And this is what I learned:

The Toms I packed myself. They varied from 25 to 35 buck smallest to biggest.

The education was the Bass Drum. The DW 18 x 22s are BIG. Unless you can find a box at Guitar Center, you need to buy 2 to make it fit and it gets pricey with packing. They told me the unusual size is the killer, more than the weight. And I had to have them pack it.
It was that big. That one alone cost me 175 (packing/materials was 50). So it cost me 250, 50 of which I ate, and passed on the 200 to the buyer.

This was a NY to MINN shipping.

So the moral is...price it out with FedEx, UPS before you list it on Ebay. Pack it yourself.
And if you can find a 32 x 32 box to ship a bass drum, Grab it.

Overseas- Had another guy pushing me to ship an 8" Tom to France. I was advised by UPS and FedEx that unless you are in the overseas shipping business and have contacts..don't do it. Customs, VAT Tax, etc. You lose control once it leaves the USA and can be left with a big problem if the buyer doesn't ultimately get it. The quote to ship a 12x 12 box weighing 7 lbs to France was in excess of 200 bucks by the way.