How much hours per week do you consider good enough to practice

I'll add a few more things.

As others have said have fun but what this also translates to is be patient on your progress. Hours and hours of practice does not usually translate to immediate improvements. It takes time so have fun and just be patient knowing you are putting in the work. On the other side of that is to not cheat yourself into thinking there are shortcuts. Put in the work and it will eventually show in your playing.

As for playing with others there is one thing you will be forced to learn quickly. That is, how to listen to other musicians when playing in a live setting. It is much different than playing along to an original track. It will make you a better musician!

Lastly, find a way to record yourself. My playing has improved a lot since I started this. The recording does not lie! Don't fall into the trap that you need to spend thousands of dollars to get the right recording setup. You are not recording an album. I spent under $100 and I have all I need to hear how my drumming really sounds. It's eye opening.

@Swissward Flamtacles , thanks, I've never though on just finding ppl with the same level as me. Seems like it will be indeed much fun and low pressure situation.

@Odd-Arne Oseberg I will think over utilizing pad more. It's much cheaper time, because no commute is required.

@Rock Salad That time is already devoted to practicing English, though after exam I'll devote some of it to drums... Mental practice.

@johnwesley Thanks for your input, I gonna find someone in 2 weeks after my English exam I have more time

@force3005 Thanks!

Lastly, find a way to record yourself. My playing has improved a lot since I started this. The recording does not lie! Don't fall into the trap that you need to spend thousands of dollars to get the right recording setup. You are not recording an album. I spent under $100 and I have all I need to hear how my drumming really sounds. It's eye opening.
Thanks!

Practice playing along with songs on the radio. Since anything might get played on the radio it is good practice for jamming with a band.
That's what I did. Then I went to jam sessions at the local bars, played drums with lots of people. Eventually you'll get better and a band will form. People will want you to play with them. After 6 months playing with a band they might want to gig. And you'll know what to practice, because at band sessions you'll know what songs and parts of songs to work on.

Good advice here, especially play with the best players you can, they will lift and enable you.
My belief is that you need to practice everyday. Muscle memory is big.
You need enough technique for the music you want to play and to realize your inspirations.
Great cellist Pablo Casals practiced scales into his 90's, asked why he said he thought he was getting good at it.
Every time you play something, it informs the next time, not only muscle memory-wise but in a deeper sense.
They say get all the technique you can then forget it when you play. To do that you need to inform your muscle memory with as many options as you can acquire. The concept of 'letting the music play you' can take place when your muscle memory is informed well. Playing a figure as many different ways as possible (like Stick Control exercises) is a way to do it.
That said, dynamics are more important than chops but both require experience and knowledge, a good teacher will speed your development and, by all means, find some players to play with. EXPERIENCE
There's playing by yourself, doing that with other players and then performing for an audience, each is different and you want to get used to that.

Last edited:
Back