How much damage can a drum take before its unplayable?

DEEJGuy

Hi,my name is DJ, I've been playing drums for 20 years now and after wanting to do it for a long time i finally started a youtube channel.
Im doing a series about how much you can abuse your gear before its unplayable. the first video i did was of course a drum.

hope you guys enjoy.

DEEJGuy

What is this trash. What makes you think musicians want to watch you abuse instruments.
calm down there bud, its not like i was throwing a pearl master series into a river.
as someone who has taken care of his instruments his whole life i was interested to see what it took to actually
break a drum, turns out it takes a lot. no reason to be so condescending.
I believe the artist playing the instrument is far more important than the instrument itself.

DEEJGuy

I am calm. What you're doing is bullshit.
how is it bullshit that i destroy a drum that is my property that already had a small crack forming at the bottom
rusted out hardware and awful tone no matter what heads are used? the drum was in to bad of shape to donate to anyone
and it had maybe a year or 2 left before it was unusable.
now not liking my video is perfectly fine,but telling me I'm doing something wrong is kinda silly.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I don't know what to tell you if you think abusing instruments is cool. I think it's really gross. Think of another way to attract people to your videos.

DEEJGuy

I don't know what to tell you if you think abusing instruments is cool. I think it's really gross. Think of another way to attract people to your videos.
:rolleyes: i think you missed the whole point of the video but ok dude.
Next time i will bury it, or would you prefer cremation since you are so entitled you think you can dictate what people do with their gear.
I also guess you aren't a fan of any touring rock band from the last 60 years either.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I think the thread should be under a different topic-Off topic lounge, General discussion or Gear? A bass drum would be better as a follow up on the thread where a singer was standing and singing on top of a posters kit. So some real life application (I’m down ten pounds so back to pre- holiday tonnage of 220lbs- I’m going to get down to 200 -I was 190 marriage age). My hypothesis is I can stand on a bass drum without damage but if I jump it will fail within 1-3 jumps. Maybe we test different weight people so I’ll do it at 200 lbs then increase and decrease by 25 or 50lbs so extended weight range. Our control will be GruntersDad beating a bass drum with his Hammer. We’ll express the data relative to control for the GruntersDad Crush Ratio. We can measure the force generated from his Hammer.

danondrums

:rolleyes: i think you missed the whole point of the video but ok dude.
Next time i will bury it, or would you prefer cremation since you are so entitled you think you can dictate what people do with their gear.
I also guess you aren't a fan of any touring rock band from the last 60 years either.
I would say the point of the video is to get "views" more than anything.
Some may not be excited about your method to get views.

You should definitely expect this reaction and should be better prepared to handle if you're going to run your own youtube channel for the sake of gaining popularity.

I don't consider your video drum/music related so can understand why musicians may find this to be a silly way to gain internet popularity. I do appreciate you accurately titling the content though. Honesty is nice. :)
Best of luck!

Now I'll quickly hit the "unwatch" button because this thread has zero value to me. :)

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I am just hoping that none of my current, or future students see this video - or other ones like it - and think that drums are disposable items that have some kind of "abuse threshold". I am playing on a 60+ year old drum set and cymbals because the idea of the possible destruction of them NEVER EVER CROSSED MY MIND! In my impressionable days, I was never given the option to do anything other than respect and care for my stuff...

feeling like we live in a world where there are many impressionable, and untrained minds out there seeking "guidance" from the social media/video world , and it is breeding a demographic of completely unknowingly misinformed individuals/consumers who will waste a ton of time, energy, and money doing things the wrong way, and then again in the process relearning to do things the right way.

This vid is not helping that culture

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well I got a new experiment. Take the drummer and drum and immerse in water for 20 minutes. Then take both and dry off and out and see which is playable? My hypothesis is the drum will be playable. Some Forum members might enjoy that experiment-and video. There actually is a history of rock drummers and musicians bashing there instruments, setting them on fire, etc. just to be fair. Though those theatrics don’t impress me- now if they had bashed each other and set each other on fire- well that’s a helluva way to end a concert.LOL

Last edited: