How many times do you listen to a reacording of a song you are recording befor it's performance.

topgun2021

Gold Member
The most I ever did was 100+ times. About 70 of those times I was playing along.

I probably average around 50 listens per song before I perform it.

I totally screwed up the title. Instead of recording, I meant to type perform.

Last edited:

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Depends on the song. You mean a simple rock song? Or something like YYZ? If it's a simple rock song, maybe a few times. If it's a Rush song, who knows? First I'd have to learn how to play certain parts and fills before I can put the whole thing together. That could take days and days.....weeks. Who knows?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I don't understand the question. You're listening to a recording prior to recording it again? Or are you talking about listening to a demo recording of an entirely new song that you're recording?

Lots of times I get to read through it once with the band before the red light goes on to record it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I've never thought about it. Many songs that my bands have covered I've heard before many times, so then it's just a matter of listening again a couple of times to make sure I have the arrangement clear.

I'm a simple player so what I do is hardly brain surgery.

topgun2021

Gold Member
I don't understand the question. You're listening to a recording prior to recording it again? Or are you talking about listening to a demo recording of an entirely new song that you're recording?

Lots of times I get to read through it once with the band before the red light goes on to record it.
I am talking you listening a song to practice it before a live performance of the song.

Example 1: Neil Peart's Beyond the Lighted Stage (Practicing songs you wrote before a live performance)

Example 2:You are going to cover a song live/in the studio soon

patrice

I am talking you listening a song to practice it before a live performance of the song.

Example 1: Neil Peart's Beyond the Lighted Stage (Practicing songs you wrote before a live performance)

Example 2:You are going to cover a song live/in the studio soon
I used to not bother that much to sit down *on my own* and (re-)learn songs I already knew.

But after joining my current band (= a live band to perform a solo artist's CD on stage), I sat down every day and played through the whole album once. Did that for about five weeks.

Even though the material wasn't exactly difficult, it helped me tremendously. Every single time I played a song, it became more natural to play it - which eventually allowed me to simply play all the songs without having to worry about the performance, and I was able to concentrate on other things. So even for simple stuff, I feel repetition is helpful. Kind of programmes the muscles, the mind, etc.

Edit in: if you mean actually listening to the song/s... similar M.O. to toddy: once to take notes, then again to check whether I missed anything.

Patrice