How many still use large speakers for practice ?

If I left my in ears at home, yep I'll plug my hearos in and play tracks through my speaker.

I use them for rehearsals, but never for solo practicing. The room reflections mess with my time just enough that I much prefer headphones. And I have a couple pairs of pretty great headphones!

Well, can I get a good set of headphones for about $100 bucks ? Problem I now have is I am just getting started again after 12 years or so and I only have a desktop computer. No smart phone. But, thanks for the good advice. God Bless. Jayimpalaman

Yep I'm guilty. I've got 15" Peavey mains in my little drum room. I like playing along with music coming from speakers more than earbuds or phones, it's more like playing live. I do try not to go overboard with the volume though.

Yep I'm guilty. I've got 15" Peavey mains in my little drum room. I like playing along with music coming from speakers more than earbuds or phones, it's more like playing live. I do try not to go overboard with the volume though.
I know what you mean about the hearing part. Been riding motorcycles all my life ! Ear plugs is my middle name now of days. God Bless.

There's room full of speakers here.
I play with ear buds. Might try one time with the Chorus IIs sometime.
I gotta go practice for a while before gig 3 of the week.

Well, can I get a good set of headphones for about $100 bucks ? Problem I now have is I am just getting started again after 12 years or so and I only have a desktop computer. No smart phone. But, thanks for the good advice. God Bless. Jayimpalaman

Use IEMs and protect your hearing! Shure 215 IEMs are a solid start.

Do IEMs limit volume peaks? I need an upgrade to my system. The board being used has 1 monitor out and a PHONES out (that I use).
I need lead guitar and less vocals.
I tap off the main PHONES output because the 1 monitor out is ALL vocals. With 2 blaring floor wedge vocal monitors for the singer setup in front of the drums, I need LESS vocals.
When the bass player screams WOOOO! into the mic between songs it pierces my ears. It's not my band. It's not my equipment.
Please help me stop these vocals from destroying my hearing.

I use a $50 Rolls setup (actually $10) with wired earbuds, and I'm ok with wired. This band won't upgrade any equipment so maybe IEMs isn't going to fix the problems.

Last edited:
Do IEMs limit volume peaks? I need an upgrade to my system.
I need lead guitar and less vocals.
I tap off the main PHONES output because the board has only 1 monitor out and its ALL vocals. With 2 blaring floor vocal monitors for the singer setup in front of the drums, I need LESS vocals.
The bass player gets drunk and screams WOOOO! into the mic between songs piercing my ears. It's not my band. It's not my equipment.
Please help me stop these vocals.

I use a $50 Rolls setup (actually $10) with wired earbuds, and I'm ok with wired. This band won't upgrade any equipment so maybe IEMs isn't going to fix the problems.
Take out the IEMs, put in some earplugs, and ask the guitar player to point their speaker more your way/closer to you?

Take out the IEMs, put in some earplugs, and ask the guitar player to point their speaker more your way/closer to you?
That's not really how stage works. Lead guitar can't. The singer plays rhythm and sets up next to me. He needs immediate access to his gear from the mic, so it makes sense anyway. The lead guitar is past him. There are stage volume challenges that won't be fixed by moving people around and it's not my band. This is normal stage volume workings. The problem is working an IEM with old gear. Can I?

Standard ear plugs didn't work. That was my first attempt while using a cabinet monitor. I then tried just sticking dead ear buds in to decrease db and that sucked too.
I ditched the cabinet and went Rolls, which feels better but now realize it's wedge floor vocal monitors that are overdriving everything.
I don't need bass guitar. I need less vocals. I need more lead. Those vocals from the wedges aren't going away.

Eh, nevermind. It's not the proper thread.

That's not really how stage works. Lead guitar can't. The singer plays rhythm and sets up next to me. He needs immediate access to his gear from the mic, so it makes sense anyway. The lead guitar is past him. There are stage volume challenges that won't be fixed by moving people around and it's not my band. This is normal stage volume workings. The problem is working an IEM with old gear. Can i?

Standard ear plugs didn't work. That was my first attempt while using a cabinet monitor. I then tried just sticking ear buds in to decrease db and that sucked too.
I ditched the cabinet and went Rolls, which feels better but now realize it's wedge floor vocal monitors that are overdriving everything.
I don't need bass guitar. I need less vocals. I need more lead.
Well, if it’s the foldback from the vocal wedges are the issue, my first inclination would be to angle the wedges such that they are still working for the vocalist, but throwing sound more to the sides than directly back to where (I assume) you are. It really just seems like the band needs a wholesale change in approach to stage volume/setup, but I can appreciate that presents another set of issues.

So, you are looking for a solution with more isolation, but now have the problem of not being able to control what is coming into your ears because the mixer doesn’t have the features necessary. Is that about right?

Well, if it’s the foldback from the vocal wedges are the issue, my first inclination would be to angle the wedges such that they are still working for the vocalist, but throwing sound more to the sides than directly back to where (I assume) you are. It really just seems like the band needs a wholesale change in approach to stage volume/setup, but I can appreciate that presents another set of issues.

So, you are looking for a solution with more isolation, but now have the problem of not being able to control what is coming into your ears because the mixer doesn’t have the features necessary. Is that about right?
Perfectly described. Yes. /thumbsup
It's the singer's band and his equipment. Pushing for upgrades has failed.

these are what I use

practice metal/punk/jazz/funk..whatever, with these.. They are great b/c I don't have to have the music cranking, and they make the drums sound almost like studio drums...

Back