How many RPMs could you withstand from a spinning drum riser and still be able to play?

MrPockets

Gold Member
I've only seen Lars have a spinning riser and I don't think it was going too fast.

I think it would depend on the individual, and just as important how long the mic cables are. I remember reading an interview, with I think Tommy Lee, and he said that one night the tech lost count of how many times he spun one direction, went too far, and all the mic cables snapped. Show's over at that point. In his example he was spinning upside-down, and not horizontally, but I'd think you'd still be limited by the mic cords.

One way to find out would be to go to a park and hop on a merry-go-round, and just try to play something on the bars.

What's your plans for this?

Zero for me, I can't do spinning as it makes me feel sick.

I saw the Monkees and Weird Al as a kid, and the venue had a round stage in the center that spun so the whole audience could see everything.

I could probably handle 33 and a 1/3 RPMs.

Stare at the drums and not out to the audience would help. And remember, don't look down!!!

It depends on how many beers I've had and how many girls are climbing on me.

Using RCF = 1.118 * 10-5 * r * (rpm)2 where RCF = 1G of force. A 6ft diameter drum riser spinning at 33 RPM would create just over 1G of force on the drummer. Roller coasters often exert as much as 5Gs for a reference, so the question is at what point would you no longer be able to control your limbs. My guess is about 45 RPM (2Gs of force) would be enough to make it difficult to control your arms as they moved away from your body.

I have been told on occasion that I overthink things.

Using RCF = 1.118 * 10-5 * r * (rpm)2 where RCF = 1G of force. A 6ft diameter drum riser spinning at 33 RPM would create just over 1G of force on the drummer. Roller coasters often exert as much as 5Gs for a reference, so the question is at what point would you no longer be able to control your limbs. My guess is about 45 RPM (2Gs of force) would be enough to make it difficult to control your arms as they moved away from your body.

I have been told on occasion that I overthink things.

You have to take the drummers position on the riser into account. If the drummer is centered on the spinning axis of the riser, the effects of g-force will be different than if the drummer was away from the axis of the riser. Closer to the edge, the harder it will become to drum. You would need a seat belt for sure.

Right Mr. Insane. Diameter of the stage or riser, position on the riser, how sturdy is the riser, how sturdy are you???

Back