how many cymbols have you been through

C.M. Jones

My inability to retire cymbals is probably due to stick choice - 5A (now), 7A and 85A (past). I'm thinking about moving up to bigger sizes due to the contemporary stuff I want to play. And I'm finding heavier playing feels more therapeutic than light stuff. Maybe it's a temporary thing.
Give something in the 5B range a go. The 5B has always been my favorite size. It's weighty enough for easy power but agile enough for deft dynamics. It adapts gracefully to almost any style.

rhumbagirl

Give something in the 5B range a go. The 5B has always been my favorite size. It's weighty enough for easy power but agile enough for deft dynamics. It adapts gracefully to almost any style.
Any recommendations on brand? I'm looking for a bigger stick but not necessarily on the heavy side.

C.M. Jones

Any recommendations on brand? I'm looking for a bigger stick but not necessarily on the heavy side.
And now comes the conundrum. There's little uniformity among stick manufacturers. One 5B is nothing like another.

I use AHEAD's 5B Light Rock model, though you might not want a synthetic stick. I love the feel and response, but it's not for everyone. AHEAD is costly, so buying a pair before sampling them can be quite a waste.

Prior to switching to AHEAD, Promark's 5B Hickory Wood Tip was my stick of choice. You can get a standard model, a forward-weighted model, or a rebound-enhanced model with a long taper. I stuck with the standard version.

Vic Firth's 5B might be a solid starting point. It's nicely balanced and weighted. Vater's 5B has some good qualities as well. I've never bought Vic Firth or Vater, but I've tried both on pads at drum shops.

rhumbagirl

I definitely think a test out at Guitar Center is in order. Or Rhythm Traders here in Portland. Probably try Vic Firth first, since that's been my choice the last 15 yrs or so. Thanks ~

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I am not sure, but it has to be around fifty. I have had at least thirty-five Sabians, and before that I had Paiste and Zildjian. I have been playing drum set for over fifty years. Peace and goodwill.

I have not broken a cymbal since I started buying good ones. All of my past ones were traded, traded in, or sold to get the latest cymbals I desired. I also gave a few away. Peace and goodwill.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Haven't broken any since 2005ish.

Like most of us who've been playing for a long time I've had a lot of cymbals that have come and gone. I still have a bag with lots of cymbals that I don't really use and a bag with the A Team in it.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I'm one of those rare guys who've only broken two cymbals in my time. One Wuhan china and my 18" AA crash (that I made into a 16" Rocktagon).
I was (am still) poor, so hitting hard wasn't something I did for fear of breaking them.
I later learned just how hard I could hit (properly, of course) and all would be well.