How long should I play drums a day?

BabyBob

Silver Member
That's an easy question...
maybe not
Practice till you're satisfied with the amount of practice for the day.

Devider

You should never ask yourself that question, Just keep practicing and when your done... your done. If you truly love playing and want to accel, you wont put a time limit on it, if your young and driving people nuts around you by playing constantly, get a practice pad(s). Never should you think... well that's good enough for today...It never is, Lol !!!

tysonlee

Looks like the dream of a fairytale ending is dead. No white knight. No 11th hour reprieve. Time to sound the death knell.

Sopranos

And, while practicing keep in mind...

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

Therefore, make sure you are practicing the right technique and spending the time to learn the rudiments and foundation. There are no short cuts in the long run.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Wanting to be the top drummer...sounds like you have your priorities misplaced. You are putting yourself before the music. The music comes first. If you play it so awesomely, then others will notice, and your (misplaced) goal will start to take shape.

Practicing by yourself means almost nothing until you start playing with others. That's when the real growth starts. If you want to be a top drummer, and you haven't played with anyone yet, you have a long long way to go. You make it sound so easy. Oh I want to be a top drummer. It doesn't work like that.

Sopranos

Wanting to be the top drummer...sounds like you have your priorities misplaced. You are putting yourself before the music. The music comes first. If you play it so awesomely, then others will notice, and your (misplaced) goal will start to take shape.

Practicing by yourself means almost nothing until you start playing with others. That's when the real growth starts. If you want to be a top drummer, and you haven't played with anyone yet, you have a long long way to go. You make it sound so easy. Oh I want to be a top drummer. It doesn't work like that.
+1 Couldn't have said it better.

I don't want to be a "top drummer". I want to make great music. I may be considered a top drummer if I make great music but I'm in it for the music. I don't care if I'm considered a beginner as long as people dig my music and I get the joy of playing it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Being a top drummer, is like saying I think I want to be on a manned space flight to Mars. Lotsa people may want it, but only a few can actually go.

Goals are great. I hope you reach yours.

choki

Maybe find somebody you consider to be a "top drummer", and take some lessons. The quality of your practice time is more important than the "quantity". Don't worry about your rankings in your local community, just try to be the best you can be. Also, try as much as possible to play with other musicians. An hour playing with others beats two hours in a practice room any day. You can't learn how to listen and how to keep tempos when others are pushing/pulling by yourself in a practice room.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Being a top drummer, is like saying I think I want to be on a manned space flight to Mars. Lotsa people may want it, but only a few can actually go.

Goals are great. I hope you reach yours.
a goal without a plan is a wish

DevonWelch

Thanks guys, these answers really opened up my mind, every drummer has something unique about them, and I realized that these ratings for "top drummers" are all very misleading. I guess I just want to be a well-known drummer that lots of drummers become inspired by, and learn from, and of course, I want to make excellent music.