How long have you been in your band?

Rock Salad

Silver Member
Sam and I have been together for four years now. Which is pretty good in my experience.
I'd like to hear from and learn from those who have been able to keep a thing going for a minute please? Negative observations are, of course, valid as well

Attachments

• photo_2021-04-02_10-28-05.png
    photo_2021-04-02_10-28-05.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 5
Go Robot, Go - lo-fi surf punky band - drums since 1994 - check us out in Apple music; Spotify
The Dead Scene - crossover thrash/stoner-punk - bass - since 2001 (was originally Fools Crown, but changed name and some persona over COVID)

Charlie Foxtrot Quintet - old swing/jump blues - drums since 2016
Hot Rod Deluxe - rockabilly/cow punk/Americana - drums since 2016 (this is the alter-ego of Charlie Foxtrot Quintet)

Heisey Wind Ensemble - community wind band - percussion section since 2008

This is the new guy I also jam with and we all gig together

Listen to Merciful Fate 2-'22.mp3 by Ahnadr on #SoundCloud

We're on year 13 which I still can't believe.

Go Robot, Go - lo-fi surf punky band - drums since 1994 - check us out in Apple music; Spotify
The Dead Scene - crossover thrash/stoner-punk - bass - since 2001 (was originally Fools Crown, but changed name and some persona over COVID)

Charlie Foxtrot Quintet - old swing/jump blues - drums since 2016
Hot Rod Deluxe - rockabilly/cow punk/Americana - drums since 2016 (this is the alter-ego of Charlie Foxtrot Quintet)

Heisey Wind Ensemble - community wind band - percussion section since 2008
I'm going to check them out, I love the band names

Currently - 42 years with the big guy, 41 years with Rip Masters, 17 years with Idle Hands, almost 12 with Zero G band and 10 years as a first-call sub for Crown City Bombers (all L.A. groups.) :)

1970- Strange Daze grade school 4pc band 3 gigs
1971-1975 Mr. Wrinkle- rock, Savoy Brown-style, etc
1975-1979- Berklee School music b.m. summer off gigs no bands
1980- 1986- Disco, rock, reggae bands, Sheraton bands, The Marcels
1986- 2000- lounge jazz and swing dance trios and quartets older band members w/ older crowd
2002- present- free lance jazz / smooth jazz/ funk/ classic rock free lance gigs
1974 sitting in led to gigs (drop names here) as recent as 2021 with next county over pittsburgh jazz players

Last edited:
In the early days i was in 2 or 3 bands, but short terms since those bands fell apart quite fast. On average didn't last more than 2 years.
When i went to university i put drumming on a low priority, but on Christmas Eve played with some friends and with did that for 5 years or so, with 1 or 2 gigs besides that. Wanted to put effort in it, but again it fell apart... Eventually joined the band of some guys i knew, but after 3 years i left because i wasn't motivated anymore.

Since July 2011 I've been playing with with a guitar player and that's the longest period ever (10+ years). Started out as trio with a bassplayer, but he left when the guitar player and me weren't interested in going full throttle and make money with music. Had a few auditions, recorded our album i the mean time (guitar player recorded the bass tracks) found a replacement, but he left after a year or so and since then we haven't bothered finding anyone else.
We really gel and get along nicely doing what we love: playing instrumental prog metal, or as we call it: instrumental. We get along to, don't have political discussions etc. and have the same mindset when it comes to making music. Didn't play for a year or so to take a break, but reason that we've played for so long is just getting along and having fun :)

I've been in The Kootz for almost 21 years. I never dreamed I'd be in a rock 'n roll band for 21 years. If you had said that to me when I was a kid, I would have said, "Right. Tell me another one."

I've been in The Kootz for almost 21 years. I never dreamed I'd be in a rock 'n roll band for 21 years. If you had said that to me when I was a kid, I would have said, "Right. Tell me another one."

I hhear ya...when II was a young'n staring out in bands, I would look at all the bands with old guys in them and think "dudes...sit down You are just beating a dead horse" II actually hoped that I would never "be that lame"

and now here I am....

How funny. I always imagine the thing going until we drop, but you are the ones whose projects are lasting and mine fizzle out (so far and excepting the ones I'm in now that are continuing such as they are.)

Last edited:
2.5 years with this kid. I've been playing drums longer than he's been alive. I hope he keeps me around for a while because he's the real freakin' deal.

302358943_512798504180433_6625385480917647691_n.jpg

12 years with the Michael Carlos band this fall. The 509s lasted 5 years until our bass player moved away.

Back