How long do you get out of a pair of sticks?

S

savage8190

Well, Ive almost been playing a month and last night felt something give in a stick...maybe its splitting? I thought this was fairly fast but I see its normal now...I'll have to go pick up a few pairs.

Bull

Gold Member
I play constant rimshots in a very loud band.My Promark 2S Hickorys usually last about 6 rehearsals before the left stick is so chewed up that it hangs on the hoop. When I am forced to used VF Classic Metal,they last about 2 rehearsals.

I get about 3 gigs out of a pair of 2S.

D

drumming sort of person

If you can get 10 to 15 hours of playing out of a stick, you got your money's worth. Sometimes a stick will wear down or chip sooner, and sometimes a bit longer. I think 10 hours is about right, and 20 hours is rare.

ottog1979

My experience is similar to yours, Drumming Person. Here's what I was talking about. This is one of my fairly used sticks next to a new stick. It's the wear on the shoulder that is bothersome. At the point shown in the picture, I usually toss the sticks and go with new ones because the wear changes the weighting of the sticks enough to really notice. As soon as I pick up the new ones - ahhh, that's better!

Attachments

Winegums

Silver Member
My experience is similar to yours, Drumming Person. Here's what I was talking about. This is one of my fairly used sticks next to a new stick. It's the wear on the shoulder that is bothersome. At the point shown in the picture, I usually toss the sticks and go with new ones because the wear changes the weighting of the sticks enough to really notice. As soon as I pick up the new ones - ahhh, that's better!
My sticks look identical in wear to this. I will consistently wear out my sticks at the shoulder from cymbals and break the tip off on a floor tom or ride bell.

When I was drumming every other day I would go though 1.5 pairs a month.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I don't play into the edge of the hats, there's nothing to gain from it, I more or less follow the curve, so that doesn't wear on my sticks at all.

It is mostly from rimshots all day and sometimes the tip starts going as well. I can usually get several months out of a pair, but I like fresh and balanced sticks so I change more often than I have to. I either give them away or use them as firewood.

If the wear is uneven, which it usually is, I definetly get more life out of them by just switching them up so they get equal rimshot wear.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Definitely playing on the edge the whole time. Lower your hats a bit. Get the same sound with a flatter approach and save some sticks.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I'd certainly hit the hats flatter. There's no sound option gained by going into edge. Doesn't help technical facility either.

An obvious tip with so uneven wear would be to switch hands. Instantly doubles the life of a pair.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I hit pretty hard and hit a TON of cymbals when I play. I also try to get in an hour or 2 a day..

sometimes sticks will last me a month (when I'm lucky). Usualy not quite.

The difference for me is when A pair only lasts me 2 weeks, they are so worn down I'm not really upset that it is premature.

I figure 2 hours a day, with a good portion of my playing in the 200bpm-230bom range I am hitting a ton of drums and cymbals.

If you don't play often your sticks can last much longer.

I feel a guy who plays only jazz will have sticks last longer than a guy playing metal or punk.

It is all relevant, just try and hit your cymbals flat, less hi hat edge, and too many rim shots is killer too

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Wow, it really depends on the gig.

I once had a pair of Pro-Mark 7A nylon tips that lasted me a decade when I played at church. At the same time when I was playing in a rock band, I'd break/crack at least one stick a practice or show.

Now? Sticks last me a long time; however, the last batch I got from Pro-Mark was pretty terrible. It was a bad run, and I was cracking them right and left...while playing at church of all places. They sent me a new brick, which was totally cool; however, I'm still a little wary of ordering again. I may go with Vic Firth next.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
also.. if your buying sticks from somewhere that doesn't move much product, or obscure models that don't sell and sit on a shelf for 2 years they will be dry and break fast.

same with in your house.. If its very dry they won't last as long.

I have received bad sticks before and broke them within minutes.

I bought a pack of 24 off brand sticks once and would break about 3 a practice, not ideal, but they were dirt cheap. I'll never go that route again.