How I get multiple electro-cymbals on the same input.

KJIB

So I've a rubber cymbal that came with my kit and I fancied a nice metal one too but bigger (so the sustain is longer and it feels nicer to play too) but I don't have any spare inputs on my drum module. I came up with this inexpensive solution. I've only tried this with passive piezoelectric cymbals (multi-zone; bell, bow and choke zone). Something like this may work with Zildjian Gen 16 but I've not got those (and they use microphones I think, not piezo sensors) so you'd have to risk it yourself.

All I did was take a couple of stereo headphone splitters, one per drum computer "zone" input, (about £4 each), a couple of 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptors (circa £1 each) and a couple of (fairly short, circa 1 metre) 3.5mm to 1/4" stereo cables per cymbal (so perhaps another £2 per cable). Just plug each the cymbal inputs from your drum computer into the headphone splitter (via the adaptors) then plug the new cables from the splitter to each appropriate cymbal socket. Circa £10 per cymbal and the splitters I got will cope with up to 6 things although I've only tried it with 2. At your own risk, not for a recording studio perhaps but so simple to try, nice for your own drum cave and seems effective to me. That's it!

It's not perfect as different makes of E-cymbal need different settings on your drum module but you can experiment for relatively little money and see if you can come up with something that works for what you need, giving you a slightly more versatile kit. I found that just playing via the drum computer into headphone / PA, this is fine. If you play via a computer then you might need to fiddle with settings / felt more to get rid of duplicate triggers which I find happens anyway, especially with the current generation of metal cymbals I've been able to play with.

Cymbal piezo splitter.jpg

Enjoy :)

KJIB

Not that I expect anyone *needs* to do this but... As a bonus, the choke on any cymbal hooked up like this will choke whichever cymbal you played even using a different choke, (i.e. all the chokes hooked up like this for one set of cymbals, work in parallel so just grab whichever is easiest). Voila! :cool: