How good are you?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I got 6 out of 10. I missed 1, 7, 9 and 10, although I think I know 10, just can't place it.
Thanks, that was fun.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I only got 5 right.

In my defense, many songs from the 80's had similarity intros to #3.

I'm beating myself up for not getting #10. That one should have been easy.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
How good am I? Not very good ... I only guessed 2, 4 and 8.

5, 6 and 10 were familiar but I couldn't call them to mind. Agree with DED about #10. For some reason I always liked that band.

Missing #5 was funny since I played that number with a scratch band a couple of years ago ... I might be the only person to miss one that I'd covered in the past!

I'd not heard the others before.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I missed 1,3,&7. Not too bad I guess.

Never heard 1 or 3 before, and I've heard #7, but never paid much attention to that song.

cnw60

I only got 5 right.

In my defense, many songs from the 80's had similarity intros to #3.

I'm beating myself up for not getting #10. That one should have been easy.
yeah - I think there's a generational advantage for most of them if you're older.

It was kind of interesting to me how the recording technique/processing of the sound was kind of clue on several of them. The classic Phil Spector 'wall of sound' sound space on 'Be My Baby' helped distinguish it from other songs with basically the same beat, Ringo's intro to 'Something... ' just had THAT Beatles sound, and I recognized the Tears for Fears one as much from that funny phase shifty processing as from the actual drumming.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
yeah - I think there's a generational advantage for most of them if you're older.

It was kind of interesting to me how the recording technique/processing of the sound was kind of clue on several of them. The classic Phil Spector 'wall of sound' sound space on 'Be My Baby' helped distinguish it from other songs with basically the same beat,
Yeah, but per the answers, it's NOT "Be My Baby" :)

cnw60

Yeah, but per the answers, it's NOT "Be My Baby" :)
holy crap Batman - make that score a 6 out of 10.

Funny when I first looked at some of the comments - most of what I saw there was saying the wrong thing (which is what I thought it was too). Looking again - ummmm, oops!

although I have to say it seems slightly unfair to ask for 'Classic' songs and then use a song that literally copied the beat of another as an homage to the original. But I'm probably just rationalizing being wrong and getting caught at it - :(

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
holy crap Batman - make that score a 6 out of 10.

Funny when I first looked at some of the comments - most of what I saw there was saying the wrong thing (which is what I thought it was too). Looking again - ummmm, oops!

although I have to say it seems slightly unfair to ask for 'Classic' songs and then use a song that literally copied the beat of another as an homage to the original. But I'm probably just rationalizing being wrong and getting caught at it - :(
Well, even in the answers he admits one came from the other. And there are several songs that have similar parts.

Some other points I noticed:

#1 isn't a classic

#6 isn't a fill or a break, which sort of goes against the authors premise. Not to mention the same beat is a variety of songs.

#7 the clip was very small. I'm not sure it counts as "memorable".

#9, while I though it was obvious who it was, it is not from the song YYZ, it's from his drum solo that appeared in YYZ on the 2nd live album. So I wouldn't be a memorable fill or break to most people, as how often is a drum solo played on the radio?

Still, it was a fun idea. I hope he does another one some time.