How do you....use a book?! (seems silly but its really bugging me!)

SVBJECT

So I got my first drumming book the other day - the emphasis there on book. Every physical "book" I've used before was pages on a binder of some sort that you could happily turn pages 360 degrees and open it anywhere, or generally I use the iPad with pdfs/videos etc.

So I got my first book, with a proper spine etc....turned to the first left hand page with exercises (page 5, fyi) and it just wont stay open or on the music stand......??

Is there a trick? I'm almost inclined to just rip it apart and hole-punch it before stuffing it into a binder but that seems like a bit of needless destruction and aside from anything else, call me old fashioned but destroying books just seems so wrong!

The pages just close themselves, or I can hold it open against a cymbal, but can't read it then; or I can clip it to the stand, but then the page 6-150 or whatever out-weigh the pages 1-5 and the clip wont hold so it falls....I feel like I'm being totally dumb, what's the trick?

wraub

Something like this, maybe?

61oHXSlOYML._AC_SL1020_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Adjustable-Document-Cookbook-Textbook/dp/B06XFN5RK7

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Photocopy the pages that you want. It's good to have a working copy anyway. That way the book remains in good condition.

SVBJECT

This kinda thing isn't going to sit on one of these:
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 15.32.57.jpeg:

Photocopy the pages that you want. It's good to have a working copy anyway. That way the book remains in good condition.
That is not a bad idea actually...all my binder-book things are so heavily annotated. Will have to wait until I'm back at work of course. Still, find it hard to believe the best advice for this is making a copy. Hell if I was paying for the copies from a copy shop, it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a second book and rip it up as I said!:rolleyes:

sumdrumguy

Binder clips work. The large clips will fit over the book and the music stand behind it. One on each corner for stubborn books.

560394_o01_072820

Last edited:

wraub

I didn't realize you were using one of those... Then, binder clips or zip ties may be your best bet.

This kinda thing isn't going to sit on one of these:
View attachment 103106:

That is not a bad idea actually...all my binder-book things are so heavily annotated. Will have to wait until I'm back at work of course. Still, find it hard to believe the best advice for this is making a copy. Hell if I was paying for the copies from a copy shop, it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a second book and rip it up as I said!:rolleyes:

Flex the cover and the pages you're working on over the binder. Foldable music stands have those thin metal arms to hold the book open. If all fails:
cp.jpg

Bozozoid

I'm so glad I didn't reply first. I was going to say.....well?...i can't now....it was retarded in comparison.