How do you know you are getting old?

J.D.

I just miss being physically fit. I was never slim but I wouldn’t think much of three Rugby training sessions and two matches a week. I did some rowing and 10K wasn’t much of an issue. Badminton, swimming… no problem.

Nowadays I get tired walking up a minor hill. I work 8 hours a day from home. We have a treadmill that I bought second hand for my other half (she wanted it) but even though it’s a heavy-duty one, I’m over the maximum weight limit for it and really don’t want to break it!

Once you get to this point, it’s hard to bring yourself back because of the complete lack of energy and working a stressful job doesn’t help with the diet.

I’ll get there eventually but it’s a long old road!
I started walking about 3mi/day this year (waiting for sun to come up so I can leave now). Just doing THAT was life-changing (since I sit at a desk). Dropped 20lbs without changing my diet (although I never eat crap, and I've cut ice-cream down to almost never). Other benefits: met a lot of neighbors, and get to see wildlife every day (saw a bear print and a juvenile Bald Eagle the other day. Will be looking for both this AM).

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
You're not wrong there at all @J.D.

There are certain pyschological issues to overcome here, too. To say that I can sink into a dark, desperate hole despite seeming like everything is fine is a long-time habit of mine. It's a self-fulfilling cycle and breaking it is the hardest part. I have absolutely no doubt that the above would help!

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I'm retired from electric work thank you Jesus thank you

I just can't do it anymore. Things take me 3x as long to do and it's just not profitable anymore because of my physical decline and the time it takes me. Plus I've had it with frustration. I've had 33 years of it and that's all I can take, I can't takes no more. Ag ag ag ag ag ag ag!

J.D.

There are certain pyschological issues to overcome here, too. To say that I can sink into a dark, desperate hole despite seeming like everything is fine is a long-time habit of mine. It's a self-fulfilling cycle and breaking it is the hardest part. I have absolutely no doubt that the above would help!
100%. BIG help.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member

All the pain I've stuffed away all my life is coming out now. It feels good to understand myself better. I've been in denial for 63 years

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
One step at a time sir, one step at a time.

I tell my kid this all the time: your brain is lazy and hates your body. Everytime your brain tells you it cant, the body proves it wrong.

One step at a time...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
For me it was being offered a drink at a party when I was in my 20s and saying 'no' because of the probability of a massive hangover...

I would see that as a sign of getting smarter...not older...