How do you knot your vintage strainers?

Acidline303

Seems like a ridiculous question, but I gather there are as many methods to knotting a P85 as there are Supras in the world. Share your pics.

I use this method, not because it stays secure, but because I hit really hard and I find that using knots that have no give tend to cause broken snare wires or small punctures in the head. The cords will wear and loosen after a while, but it's fairly easy to retension without having to restring the whole thing.

UI95f68h.jpg

Use a square knot or a surgeons knot.and Ludwig snare cord.Right over left......left over right....repeat as necessary.

Steve B

I just put some 12 strand pure sound snare wires on a 1960 400. Sounds really fat. sometimes i think more strands tend to choke a drum, although on these they are supposed to have 12 strand wires. i knotted this drum this way..

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good! I like 12 strand, sometimes 16. I never go above 16 on a 5" deep drum, and may go to 20 on a 6.5" or deeper snare. I think that you have to achieve balance between the snare sound and drum sound.

Looks good! I like 12 strand, sometimes 16. I never go above 16 on a 5" deep drum, and may go to 20 on a 6.5" or deeper snare. I think that you have to achieve balance between the snare sound and drum sound.

I think the old P83 (early 60's) supras have a crimped bed that will only properly accommodate narrow wires. I'd recommend picking up a real L1929 12-strand from a Ludwig dealer and seeing if it makes a difference over the Puresounds on that old snare.

The puresounds sound pretty good on these drums but I will take your advice on board. Thanks.

Back