How do you get a kit THAT low?!?!

AJ3000

Silver Member
I constantly see videos of drummers playing 6 piece and above kits (2 up +) with really low slung setups. This type of setup appeals to me hugely, but no matter how hard I try I can't get everything low enough!

Players like Teddy Campbell and Tony Royster Jr. are playing beautiful setups with low crashes and flat toms. I use shorter toms, but it never feels low to me. I sit pretty low on the kit, which I'm sure is a contributing factor, but even when I raise up a good 3 or 4 inches, everything looks high, even from the audience perspective.

I appreciate it's all about feel, but these guys always look so comfortable behind the kit, it's an avenue I'd like to explore.

As part of this, is there any benefit to sitting higher behind the kit? My first throne was broken and didn't raise up (many years ago!) so I learnt with what I had....

Thanks in advance!

Naigewron

Platinum Member
A lot of the gospel players sit very high, and there are a few that also use smaller kicks (usually 20") and shallow toms. You need to set up the kit for your style though.

My height, reach and grip really fit in with a flat and low setup (I sit with my thighs parallell to the ground, and I'm about 1.88 metres / 6'3"). I've seen plenty of drummers get completely thrown when they sit behind my kit because they're built differently and have a different grip and stroke. As for me; if I play a kit with angled toms and snare the stick rebounds straight into my wrist, which can really start to hurt after a few songs. So again, you really need to set up your kit to suit your style and not just for the way it looks when someone else is playing.

AJ3000

Silver Member
That's for the info regarding the gospel players.

I have a default setup that I'll go to - low toms, high crashes etc. But I'm always experimenting to see if I can find something more ergonomically viable. The gospel players seem to all have killer chops, and I'm always intrigued as to the role a kit setup can play in the way the kit is addressed. I have built my Mapex kit up this evening around this 'gospel player' concept (albeit with a 22" kick) and it's producing some fresh stuff for me at the moment. I'll keep playing around....

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
20 inch bass drum, 7 inch deep rack toms, Sit high so that your thigh is about 2 inches higher than your knee. Thats my way.

Push

What I do is angle my virgin kick (24" kick BTW) about 20 degrees to the right. This lets me place my tom (13x9) which is suspended from my cymbal stand (I have a 1 up 2 down set up) quite low and flat. That in turn lets me place all my cymbals relatively low. Like the low set up quite a bit.

AJ3000

Silver Member
What I do is angle my virgin kick (24" kick BTW) about 20 degrees to the right. This lets me place my tom (13x9) which is suspended from my cymbal stand (I have a 1 up 2 down set up) quite low and flat. That in turn lets me place all my cymbals relatively low. Like the low set up quite a bit.
It's a setup I like to run too on a 1 up 2 down kit. I meant more with a 2 over the kick setup. It's almost like they defy the laws of space.....

tubbyadam

I used to play in a band that opened up for a lot of big touring blues acts. I almost always had to use the headlining bands drums so I had to get used to playing on all kinds of whacky setups. Anyway, alot of the players in those bands where gospel drummers. Now, I'm only 5'7" so I'm not tall but most of those guys weren't much taller than me. Most of the time the kits weren't anything you couldn't buy off the rack at GuitarCenter either. This usually means that the rack toms were 10x8 and 12x9 with a 22" kick.

The throne on those setups was something to lean against, not sit on. So if you think you're sitting high, raise it another 2" inches and you're probably there. No joke.

AJ3000

Silver Member
I used to play in a band that opened up for a lot of big touring blues acts. I almost always had to use the headlining bands drums so I had to get used to playing on all kinds of whacky setups. Anyway, alot of the players in those bands where gospel drummers. Now, I'm only 5'7" so I'm not tall but most of those guys weren't much taller than me. Most of the time the kits weren't anything you couldn't buy off the rack at GuitarCenter either. This usually means that the rack toms were 10x8 and 12x9 with a 22" kick.

The throne on those setups was something to lean against, not sit on. So if you think you're sitting high, raise it another 2" inches and you're probably there. No joke.
I usually play with my throne as low as it'll physically go, and raising it 3.5 inches (ish) seems like I'm in the clouds! I'll just keep going and see how far it'll go. Should be a fun experiment if nothing else!!!!

Push

It's a setup I like to run too on a 1 up 2 down kit. I meant more with a 2 over the kick setup. It's almost like they defy the laws of space.....
With offset toms, you can still get them low in a 2 up configuration. If the toms are mounted on the kick, I would think there is a limit to how low you can get them depending on the tom depth.