How do you drum along with music?

Esoremada

Do you play the music on headphones or on speakers? I have big speakers and am lucky enough to have a sound proof room, but whenever I wear ear protection (like this) I can barely hear the music over my drums and keep going off beat. Is it better to play music over headphones? It seems like that would be bad for your hearing. How do you guys practice?

Hi man, you could try to wear some in-ear buds or even regular earbuds under your earmuffs. Many people do that. Just make sure you're not pushing the volume too loud. If you can play the music at a reasonable level and drum along, great, there you go.

Another option is buying good drummer or noise-blocking headphones. There are many options and at various price tags. I personally have some Sennheiser HD280 Pro's ($100) and even though you can drum with them, they don't offer proper protection like earmuffs do.

So yeah.. try that "earbud under the earmuff" choice, and start saving for some pro-level headphones. (Actually.. I think I'm gonna take that advice myself)...

Cheers!

what I have been doing lately works for me. I use in ear buds and I have sound-off drum silencers. I cant even hear my drums which is perfect because I know what they sound like and the important thing is following along with the ipod, not hearing what im playing.

the important thing is following along with the ipod, not hearing what im playing.

759555c27437b023015fc8e18fc564dd.jpg

Man, you're joking, right??

REALLY? you need to hear yourself? I know what each drum sounds like when I hit it so whats the point of hearing it?? the point is trying to hear the music to learn the song! and btw, shove your picture up you *&%!

If you are so talented that you know exactly what gives you what sound. you don't need to hear yourself.
You need to hear your drums to know what your playing? thats pretty sad, someday mayube youll be as good as me, untill then, keep stinking it up with the amatuers!

I got nice wireless headphones....NOT ear buds but ones that cover my ears, and I use either an ipod, or if I don't have the song I want to play, I plug into my laptop and play along to youtube.

Do you play the music on headphones or on speakers? I have big speakers and am lucky enough to have a sound proof room, but whenever I wear ear protection (like this) I can barely hear the music over my drums and keep going off beat. Is it better to play music over headphones? It seems like that would be bad for your hearing. How do you guys practice?
I just use some Bose over the ear headphones, not the notice canceling model. And since your a drummer you've committed yourself to some possible hearing loss, but it's good to protect your ears. Anyway I use those headphones pretty much blasting and it works great.
Good luck!

I prefer just using speakers. I'm not much into wearing headphones. I've never played to a click. I don't have anything against clicks. Just never used one. I use headphones with my computer so I can check out all these You Tube clips. The neighbors like it quiet and I like my music loud. I can't stand things in my ears. I never wear earplugs except out of total necessity.

WTF? I play the damn drums because they're acoustic. I've always prided myself on not having to use any freakin' electronics spare the occasional microphones. Technology? So what. I'm a freakin' drummer. What's with all this technical mumbo jumbo this and that? Just crank up the speakers and play some drums. Besides the drummer you're playing along to is probably playing to a click anyway.

I plug my mp3 player or computer into my mixer, then headphones out from there. I always wear the foam earplugs with this arrangement because it is really loud and I don't want to do any more damage to my hearing than I have to.

In the past, I used to mic my drums and mix them in with whatever prerecorded stuff I was playing along to, but it's kind of a hassle with my current arrangement.

I definitely want to be able to hear my drums when I do this. Mainly I'm just wanting to try things out over whatever groove is going on. It is like playing to a click in a way so it's good for practicing whatever, but with the added bonus that there's that additional context going on. I rarely, if ever, try to match the existing drum part exactly.

I dub all of my music that I want to rehearse onto CD and I have a wireless remote that the CD player/recorder can see from every position in the studio. I have five wired headphone stations each with their own headphone amplifier dispersed around the room. I try to use a miked kit if I can and then I just mix the drums with the CD. This way I'm able to record the music and drums to smooth out any parts that just don't flow the way they should. The remote is very handy to keep repeating sections of the song if I have to. If the kit is not miked, I just play along with the CD to loosen-up or just for entertainment..

Dennis

I use a set of Ex-29s just like unfunkyfooted mentioned. They work great for drumming, offer great ear protection, and sound great too. I did have the headband break on them, however I contacted the company and they sent me a new one free of charge by first class mail...

REALLY? you need to hear yourself? I know what each drum sounds like when I hit it so whats the point of hearing it?? the point is trying to hear the music to learn the song! and btw, shove your picture up you *&%!

I have really nice sounding cymbals and drums. I like to hear them!

GJS

If you don't need to hear your drums then what is the point of getting behind them to learn a song?

Back