How Do These Sizes Sound?

helmetface

Hey all, been drumming for a little more than a year now and I'm in the mix of building my own kit.

I've already got an 8x14 snare that I've built and I really enjoy the sound of it. Down the road I'll get a smaller snare to accompany it. But for now I'll be eliminating my current cheap Pearl kit; one by one, with my own custom pieces.

I've got no real intentions of playing a certain genre of music, I truly enjoy it all. Anyhow, here are the sizes I've come up with, tell me what you think I can do to improve their "sync" -ability.

8x14 snare - already built

14x22 bass (would like to find a drum supplier that offers 14x24 but its limited)

18x18 floor tom

16x16 floor tom

Now for the rack toms I'm even more bewildered by proper sizing. But here is what I am thinking, very open to opinions

12x14 mounted tom

10x12 mounted tom

I used amdrumparts for building my snare and had a great experience there, so I'll likely be using them for the rest of the kit, the only thing they don't carry is the 24x14 Bass, if I can find that elsewhere I'll probably jump on that, last.

So if anyone can comment on the sizes, again I've got no set preference on what I play, I do own a double-bass, and I enjoy metal music as much as I do jazz and funk/rock. I enjoy real deep sounds, low tuning, thus the over-sized toms/bass/snare.

Thanks for Your Time

BGH

Gold Member
Unless you are really tall, I think you'd do better by changing some of the sizes. a 12x14 on top of a 14x24 or even a 22 kick will be very high. Also if you want a deep bass drum sound, I would go with 16x22 or 18x22, rather than 14 deep. I would consider this:

9x12
10x14
16x16
18x18 or 16x18
18x22

helmetface

Hey BGH, thanks for the reply!

You make a great point about the height that I had not even considered! I am not tall, just a sliver under 6' and I have short legs to boot!

With your suggestions in mind I will definitely be looking into some changes.

As far as the 14x24 goes, I was wanting one shorter so as to to muddle up fast bass work. Not that I am some phenom on the pedals, however, I do enjoy implementing double bass and figured an overly deep bass drum would muddle it up too much.

Can anyone comment on how a 16x22 bass, 16x18 floor tom and 16x16 floor tom would sound together? Mathematically that sounds like it would stack quite nicely once tuned but I'd like feedback.

helmetface

Hmm I figured 16x16 was a pretty common size but it appears amdrumparts.com doesn't carry them, I'll have to look elsewhere for this size.

Closest matches are 18x18,16x18,14x18

Hmm, can anyone else recommend a quality (preferably keller shell) drum vendor?

Thanks!

helmetface

Thank you for the link BGH!

I see they offer the various plies as you mentioned, on a similar sized drum, only thing different being the ply, how would an 8 ply vary from a 10 ply in sound?

tard

Gold Member
16x16 is indeed a very common size. I can recommend Precision Drum Co. They have any shell you'd ever want. They have Keller in various plies.

http://www.precisiondrum.com/
i agree, ive bought from precision drum several times and they are a pleasure to deal with, very helpful and extremely knowledgeable, if they cant get it or build it, chances are you dont want or need it...lol

helmetface

I appreciate you backing up precision drum tard.

Although I am a little disappointed there prices are quite a bit higher than amdrumparts.com

I am curious though, do they drill out the lug holes? I understand they charge more for bearing edges, but I am curious to know if the lug holes are pre-drilled.

Thank You!

Nitemare

you dont neccessarily need big drums for a deep punchy sound, use bubinga and/or birch shells with 2-ply heads.

helmetface

Thanks for the replies guys.

Anyone know an online shell vendor that carries bubinga or birch shells?

Also, how does the shell ply effect sound?

Thanks Guys

Soupy

Silver Member
Amdrumparts lists 16x16 on their web site. And if you're buying all your other parts there, just call and ask about the 24" bass.

The classic Bonham sound came from a 14" deep drum, so I see no reason why you should think twice about a 14x24" bass. Larger drum heads mean lower pitch, all other things being equal.

BGH does have a good point about the rack tom depth though. Now, my old Exports had 10x12 and 11x13 toms over a 22" kick, and that was entirely manageable. A 10x14 and 9x12 might be fine for you over a 24. Depends on preferences and how you set up your kit. Another option might be to have a left side floor tom, and put a 14x14 there.

I'm not sure who commonly carries birch Keller shells, but you can probably order anything you want from Erie drums and Shells. Also probably won't be as cheap going for something specialty-made rather than off-the-shelf Keller maples.

paistepower92

1. Shell ply definately affects sound. I'm sure someone could go into great detail. In short:
Thinner =more resonance, Thicker=more volume.
2. You can get birch Keller shells from
http://www.aitwood.com/images/pdf/DrumShells.pdf
3. I don't know of anyplace that sells bubinga shells.
4. Precision Drum will drill lug holes for another charge.
5. You said that the price is significantly higher than the place you got you other shell from,
but in the case of drum shells and suppliers, you get what you pay for. Precision has
been in the business since 1961, they know their stuff and it is top-notch. I can
personally attest to this since I live down the road from them and have visited the shop
many times. They are a great bunch of guys. Also my drum teacher in one of their
endorsers and he has 2 of their sets in his studio, which sound absolutely wonderful.

helmetface

Thanks again for the great replies guys! Really getting some great info tonight!

@Soupy - Now I see the 16x16 on amdrumparts, I was looking at the wrong plies, dumb me(thank you!)

I really enjoyed the quality that I received from them, aside from some light sanding, the quality was top notch, especially for the price. I will definitely continue to use them.

As far as the rack tom height situation, I'll have to take some measurements based off my current setup and see what I can make use off, I definitely plan on keeping them fully horizontal. The rack toms will be mounted separately from the base drum.

helmetface

A couple more questions come up as well, in regards to bass drum hoops. I see they are offered with a few different options, no groove, 1/2" groove, and a 3/4" groove. Is this merely for mounting purposes? Or does this affect any sound qualities?

As far as air holes, I've heard a lot of talk about them, do they change the sound other than just making it louder? I placed two 1/2" air holes in my snare and it really opened it up in a most proper way.

Thanks Guys

A

audiotech

I didn't read through all the responses, so this might be repetitious. I would not go with an 18" x 18" floor tom. The main reason is that it will probably sit too low to the floor's surface and squelch it's sound. This in turn could stifle the resonance and sustain from a drum that deep depending on what's below it. I feel as if an 18" x 16" would be a better choice

Dennis

tamadrm

Platinum Member
A couple more questions come up as well, in regards to bass drum hoops. I see they are offered with a few different options, no groove, 1/2" groove, and a 3/4" groove. Is this merely for mounting purposes? Or does this affect any sound qualities?

As far as air holes, I've heard a lot of talk about them, do they change the sound other than just making it louder? I placed two 1/2" air holes in my snare and it really opened it up in a most proper way.

Thanks Guys
The groove is for an inlay strip of wrap to match the wrap you have on your kit,and cosmetic only.

The more holes you have ...the more tone you will lose..so no drilling before you make that decision,because once you drill...there's no going back.

I also like 14"deep bass drums..a lot more punch.

I think the 16x18 floor tom will give you more resonance and tone over a 18x18.Eames also makes birch shells,and their quality and sound is similar to 80"s Tama,built to last.

Steve B

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Hmm I figured 16x16 was a pretty common size but it appears amdrumparts.com doesn't carry them, I'll have to look elsewhere for this size.

Closest matches are 18x18,16x18,14x18

Hmm, can anyone else recommend a quality (preferably keller shell) drum vendor?

Thanks!
They have both. Look here.

Parts 81m and 86b
http://www.amdrumparts.com/shells.htm

Also if you stain the kit you won't need a groove in the hoop

helmetface

Thank you for the responses guys!

The 16x18 will probably be the first tom I'll build, then perhaps the bass drum as I am siked for that 14x24

Thanks for the suggestions about creating more resonance by keeping it further from the ground.

And as for the inlay on the bass drum, I've no need for it, I plan on doing a light stain on the toms and a dark(er) stain on the bass to match my snare.

I am worried at this point, after reading reviews, of my rack toms being too tall with a 24" bass.

At this point I am looking at the following tom sizes:

16x18
16x16
12x14
10x12

Although, as I mentioned above, I am quite worried about the height issue, I'll have to take some measurements and see what my stalky body can handle.

Thanks Again!

BGH

Gold Member
As I mentioned, I think your rack sizes are too tall. You said you like your toms horizontal. I can tell you that a 12x14 on top of a 24" kick would be unplayable for me. Don't forget, you need about a half inch to inch between the drums, or the tom will almost be resting on the kick, which you don't want. If you are going to have your toms on a floor stand to the left of the kick, you may be able to get away with it. But, a 13 and 14 to left of the kick are going to put them way off to the left, which may be too far left for you.