How do I start punk-drumming?

..Play to a click, Quarter notes, Push pull............!!!!! Not ONE of those have anything whatsoever to do with playing Punk..

Lol..

I would advice every drummer who wants to play punk to look at these videos, which is in total about 1 hour..

If during that 1 hour you have thought even a second about push pull technique or Moeller or what else, punk is not your genre to play..

Really........push pull technique.......i think Rollins would have kicked his drummer out for even bringing that up..?

(if he would refer to something regarding drumming-technique that is) ?

Last edited:
..There’s a reason guys like Joe Morello and George Lawrence Stone taught and used push-pull. I’d rather have healthy hands than street cred with punk drummers. LOL..

There is also a reason why some people get what punk is (or in my opinion should be) about and some not..

For example, Earl Hudson from Bad Brains is an amazing player and i would definitely not say that he has unhealthy hands..

But, lets say, Dave Weckl playing with Black Flag would be a guarantee for a pretty sh*t band..

There ofcourse are also many exeptions again with this, like for example Eric Moore with Suicidal Tendencies..

But still, in general, i would say that punk is much more about attitude than anything else.. :)

Start slow, play to a click, and slowly increase it. 1 BPM every day is over 100BPM a year. so think of it like that. The first while you can probibly do 1 a day, after you get faster you might take weeks to increase 1 BPM.

Same goes for the right hand as the feet. You need to get used to it at a specific speed, and in time it will happen naturally. Speed is one thing, endurance comes from doing it over and over.

I made this video several years back, but I use a double and a single in this. "punk" is mostly played on a single, but I tend to switch back and forth.

Genius dude! 1 bpm every day that makes it seem very doable ..

Maybe this will show any "Technique" up....... :)

first of all, fanboi moment!!! You guys have been one of my fav bands since the 80's!!! Hell yeah!!! much respect to you for staying with it for so long!!

and I also started by playing along to Minor Threat, SOA, Slayer, Discharge, SOD etc in the early 80's....I was in a few speed metal/crossover/thrash bands back then

I agree that "just going for it" it is good...but I also can attest to the fact that learning a proper technique WILL NOT HINDER playing punk/fast. I am also a marching band guy, and the "proper technique" that I learned in that arena only propelled my fast playing.

The most "punk" thing you can do is whatever works best for you, and not what everyone else is telling you is "punk"....cause that is when we lose sight of what punk really stands for! If you want to play punk with push/pull, f-ing do it. If you want to play punk with baseball bats and just your pinky, than f-ing do it

If you get me skanking, and circling it up in the pit, then you are playing punk!!

first of all, fanboi moment!!! You guys have been one of my fav bands since the 80's!!! Hell yeah!!! much respect to you for staying with it for so long!!

and I also started by playing along to Minor Threat, SOA, Slayer, Discharge, SOD etc in the early 80's....I was in a few speed metal/crossover/thrash bands back then

I agree that "just going for it" it is good...but I also can attest to the fact that learning a proper technique WILL NOT HINDER playing punk/fast. I am also a marching band guy, and the "proper technique" that I learned in that arena only propelled my fast playing.

The most "punk" thing you can do is whatever works best for you, and not what everyone else is telling you is "punk"....cause that is when we lose sight of what punk really stands for! If you want to play punk with push/pull, f-ing do it. If you want to play punk with baseball bats and just your pinky, than f-ing do it

If you get me skanking, and circling it up in the pit, then you are playing punk!!

Thank you. Still loving it all after all of these years. We have just been asked to play Punk Rock Bowling in Vegas next year :) We played the Pool Party in 2017 there & that was so funny :)
I must have some sort of technique I use as my hands & everything else are still absolutely fine. (I can suffer from cramp though in my thumbs if I don't loosen them up beforehand properly. My knees are also not what they were...........) I do tend to use my index finger more now though to "bounce" the stick. Certainly when using the ride. What I am actually doing though I have no idea but, it works very well :D
Always wanted to learn marching drumming but maybe a little too old now. I do though, need to actually learn & practice some rudiments (refused to go near them all my career) because playing 1000mph Punk will catch up with me sooner than later so will probably move on to different things at a later date :)

There is also a reason why some people get what punk is (or in my opinion should be) about and some not..

For example, Earl Hudson from Bad Brains is an amazing player and i would definitely not say that he has unhealthy hands..

But, lets say, Dave Weckl playing with Black Flag would be a guarantee for a pretty sh*t band..

There ofcourse are also many exeptions again with this, like for example Eric Moore with Suicidal Tendencies..

But still, in general, i would say that punk is much more about attitude than anything else.. :)

I like Green Day. They’re punk, right? LOL

Thank you. Still loving it all after all of these years. We have just been asked to play Punk Rock Bowling in Vegas next year :) We played the Pool Party in 2017 there & that was so funny :)
I must have some sort of technique I use as my hands & everything else are still absolutely fine. (I can suffer from cramp though in my thumbs if I don't loosen them up beforehand properly. My knees are also not what they were...........) I do tend to use my index finger more now though to "bounce" the stick. Certainly when using the ride. What I am actually doing though I have no idea but, it works very well :D
Always wanted to learn marching drumming but maybe a little too old now. I do though, need to actually learn & practice some rudiments (refused to go near them all my career) because playing 1000mph Punk will catch up with me sooner than later so will probably move on to different things at a later date :)

I am near your age - 51 - and definitely am glad that I can still play pretty fast, though my double bass is not like anything that dudes are doing now-a-days. I am also lucky that I am not too physically beat up yet from drumming. I get all my injuries from playing hockey...

and you are not too old to start the rudiments!! I would say that learning the 4 paradiddle rudiments (single; double; triple; and paradiddle-diddle) would be a good place to start. Since they combine single and double strokes, they are a good way to relax your hands and warm up. You probably already use them in some of the patterns that you play and might not even know it.

Will have to look for the vids of the Punk Rock Bowling!!!

I am near your age - 51 - and definitely am glad that I can still play pretty fast, though my double bass is not like anything that dudes are doing now-a-days. I am also lucky that I am not too physically beat up yet from drumming. I get all my injuries from playing hockey...

and you are not too old to start the rudiments!! I would say that learning the 4 paradiddle rudiments (single; double; triple; and paradiddle-diddle) would be a good place to start. Since they combine single and double strokes, they are a good way to relax your hands and warm up. You probably already use them in some of the patterns that you play and might not even know it.

Will have to look for the vids of the Punk Rock Bowling!!!
My injuries tend to be from squash :confused: You could very well be correct, I may do some but not be aware. Would be fun to know though if I do :)

There are loads of YouTube video's from us at Punk Rock Bowling last time. Search Varukers Pool Party........... :ROFLMAO:

I will start you off with one ;)

Punk, errrrr you don’t need a some smooth over thought technique nooooo that’s NOT punk at all, not in 1978 and not in 2019. Slaves are pretty punk.....no hi hat.
or maybe try Sleaford Mods

I played in a punk band and use to learn the songs on the way to the gig in the van, yes I am serious, to a certain extent it’s like playing improvised jazz, just learn the tempos and off you go. Respond to the energy ebb and flow.

My injuries tend to be from squash :confused: You could very well be correct, I may do some but not be aware. Would be fun to know though if I do :)

There are loads of YouTube video's from us at Punk Rock Bowling last time. Search Varukers Pool Party........... :ROFLMAO:

I will start you off with one ;)

I would soooo be in that pool circle pitting in slo mo!!!!

Man, just the fact that I'm posting in this thread is so not punk. I'll have to atone with 50 punk push-ups.

In the meantime, enjoy some goly-gosh friggin sweet punk! You'll want to note the correct use of punk-hi-hat, which is totally a thing.

Back