How do I start punk-drumming?

Drum Kid

So, recently Ive been getting into more punk bands and punk drumming. And let me say that I dont really need any more help with my snare-hand and kick drum speed. I just need help with the hi-hat hand; When I see people like Scott Raynor in the Dammit video moving his hi-hat hand really fast, I think of how the heck he does it. Ive looked everywhere for tips but never found stuff. So Im asking if someone here can help me out with the speed. (Im a right hander) I tried learning it myself but I always lock up.

Thanks for the help guys!
Michael

Frank

Gold Member
One thing I eventually figured out, as far as comfortably having a faster right hand on the hi hat, is - to not think about every note but every Other note.

Loose grip, stroke, let it rebound, stroke, let it rebound. Not muscling it with - stroke stroke stroke stroke.

Keep the hand relaxed.

TOMANO

My band just started doing a Green Day tune (the "do you have the time to listen to me whine" song.) Never a real fan, I had to listen to it many times, as the drummer is smokin' on it. Took each section slow. Learned what he was doing. Practice and play it very relaxed. You gotta be loose to play tight! Go get 'em!

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Start slow, play to a click, and slowly increase it. 1 BPM every day is over 100BPM a year. so think of it like that. The first while you can probibly do 1 a day, after you get faster you might take weeks to increase 1 BPM.

Same goes for the right hand as the feet. You need to get used to it at a specific speed, and in time it will happen naturally. Speed is one thing, endurance comes from doing it over and over.

I made this video several years back, but I use a double and a single in this. "punk" is mostly played on a single, but I tend to switch back and forth.

roncadillac

Put on some Subhumans really loud, slam a PBR, then kick your drums in the proverbial nut-sack

On the real though, it's like learning any other style. Find some bands/drummers you like and do your homework, this includes a ton of listening, research, etc. Practice playing and, as already stated, start slow and work your way up. This style in general will require enhanced endurance and stamina so consider a regular light exercise like a walk or jog, it's good for your soul as much as your health and drumming. Also gives you more time to listen! Something else to keep in mind is gear differences, this will require some gear that can really project and alot of fast repeated strokes. You may find you need different cymbals, heads, and tuning. I never found a 'versatile' set up to really stand out in punk and hardcore settings while never really found punk and hardcore specific set ups to really be all that versatile.

roncadillac

A real punk drummer would never ask this question, but just grab some sticks and smash away..

And with a little bad luck, while playing more and more, that same punk drummer would start developing some technique along the way..😄
In my youth coming up I knew three guys who played punk almost exclusively: 1 of them switched to guitar, 1 of them still plays drums but rarely plays punk, and 1 of them got super advanced arthritis in his late teens and had to stop playing entirely.

Mastiff

No expert here, but I'm working up my speed slowly. As said, you have to stay loose. Once you start wristing them out, you're on borrowed time and will lock up badly in short order. I find I use a little wrist every other hit and finger the ones in between (push pull?). I haven't taught my left hand to be as efficient though. Not sure if two handed fast 16ths comes up much in punk or not...

johnwesley

Silver Member
YELL AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS....ONE...TWO...THREE...FOUR....if the band is any good they'll start on the downbeat and you're off to punkland

Learn the push pull method with your hat hand. Essentially you whip down the first hit and you also hit when you are lifting the stick.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
That was good advice, Speed comes from being loose. I sort of agree with just start doing it. Don't push TOO hard, but you need to push so you feel a burn. Guys don't get faster at running but walking. Bodybuilders don't get huge by lifting light, but endurance is also built by longer periods. So go at 70-80% max.

Practice for long sessions and pick a few punk beats and set a click. Playing punk and metal is usually a pretty good cardio workout for me.

roncadillac

Not a punk song by any means but I am working out parts for a new song with my band to a demo track before I record next week. This song is a fast picking country style guitar lick but at a driving rock tempo, if I sit down and jump right into this tune I'll fall right off and get frustrated. However, if I start off with some slower and/or easier tunes first and come back to it when I'm warmed up it's noticably easier.

Stretch out, warm up your hands for a few minutes, play some familiar kit grooves for a few minutes and boom: warmed up for punk in ten minutes or less.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
Try using more finger technique on the hi-hat or ride and really utilize the rebound, it will take some time to get used to but just start at a slow tempo and gradually push it to higher tempos as you get better with it.

OR just do like I do and only play the quarter notes on the hi-hat, ride or whatever surface I'm playing.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Reading some of these replies are making me laugh............. Play to a click, Quarter notes, Push pull............!!!!! Not ONE of those have anything whatsoever to do with playing Punk. Do you think any one of us that has been playing punk for the last 40 years ever did any of this....... ;)

Frosticles

Silver Member
If you've been doing it 40 years and your limbs and joints are intact, I wonder if you are doing it (push pull or something) intuitively it without necessarily caring what it's called.
The Punk Band I play for (The Varukers) have been going for 40 years now (I joined in 1986 but have been playing Punk since the age of 12) We play at a thousand mph. TBH, it's getting more difficult now (53) but can still play absolutely flat out for an hour :) All the bands we have played & toured with over the years (GBH, Exploited, Discharge etc) have all been self taught as am I. In the beginning, we all just got up there & played. That is what Punk was about. DIY. :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
If you've been doing it 40 years and your limbs and joints are intact, I wonder if you are doing it (push pull or something) intuitively it without necessarily caring what it's called.
As for playing like that...... Absolutely no idea. Can just do it.... :D