How do I shorten a hi-hat rod?

Philaiy9

Don't cut it. Too many drummers are emphasizing chops over groove these days ;)

In all seriousness, a hacksaw and a file will do fine.

someguy01

I just use my lightsaber and get that nice clean cut look.

Seriously though, a hacksaw and a file will do just fine.

Sonorfan

The long hi-hat rod on my stand is too long, and the short one that comes with it is too short, so I need to cut the longer one down a few inches but I don't know how or what to use.

I'm assuming I should wrap the rod and put it in a vice, but I don't know if I should use a hacksaw or a pipe cutter or what to do in order to smooth out the tip once it's cut (I'm guessing a metal file).

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.
Pipe cutter is for hollow metal so you'd be there awhile. Put it in a good bench vice and the only part you need protruding is the amount you wish to cut off. Use a hack saw and cut right up close to the vice. The metal in those rods has some spring tension but isn't hardened steel so it cuts very easily with a fine tooth metal cutting hack saw blade. After making the cut extend the rod out of the vice enough to allow you to use a small flat metal file to smooth the sharp edges. Rotate as you file to get the cut rounded.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
One time I asked my son while driving if I'm clear to go....He said, you can go.............right after this big truck passes...No would have been better ha ha. I couldn't see well enough but nothing happened. We joke about it now

You mean like how 2 wrongs dont make a right, but 3 lefts do ??

Not at all. Why would you even say that? See this is what I'm talking about...you keep writing this stuff...and you want to go. That's so cute.

You'll go. Just not yet. You have big things coming Mister

:p

BGDurham

I also wonder why do you want it shorter? And, if so many people are shortening their HH rods--hello hardware manufacturers, make a short rod version!

Yoshinya

I also wonder why do you want it shorter? And, if so many people are shortening their HH rods--hello hardware manufacturers, make a short rod version!
Tama has noticed this and now make a shorter hi-hat rod that fits all of their hi-hat stands.

All three of their top-end (Iron Cobra, Speed Cobra and Dyna-Sync) hi-hat stands now come with BOTH the long and shorter versions.

BGDurham

Tama has noticed this and now make a shorter hi-hat rod that fits all of their hi-hat stands.

All three of their top-end (Iron Cobra, Speed Cobra and Dyna-Sync) hi-hat stands now come with BOTH the long and shorter versions.
Dang, I was starting to tool up for a first run five years from now : (

marratj

I never even thought about cutting mine. It sticks out pretty far (the original long rod of my IC Hi-Hat stand), but I just have gotten used to it in the past 10 years that I simply don’t think about it.

It’s there and that’s it. But I can see that for some it might be in the way for certain setups.

rhumbagirl

I cut mine off with a dremel tool years ago when I used to sit lower. Now it stays in the stick bag. At 5'6" I sit high enough to have my hihat higher than most on the forum - 33.5" (measured with a clothes tape measure subtracting 86.5 from 120, from floor to hihat event horizon). 4-5" to snare.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
From the ground:

Snare head: 24.5"
Edge of bottom hat: 31.0"

At 5'6" I sit high enough to have my hihat higher than most on the forum - 33.5"

I'm 6'. I am also considering moving my seat up a couple inches, so I might be up there with you lol.