how do i know if im a progressive drummer?

Raghallaigh

i want to join a band and some people have asked me to join if i was a progressive drummer and i dont have a clue as to what that is, can anyone tell me?

theindian

As in progressive rock? Like the music of Yes, ELP, old school Rush and Genesis?
If so, Odd time signatures, thematic parts and more orchestrated playing, long instrumental breaks, and in general thinking outside the box of regular rock music. This kind of defines 70's heyday prog rock at its peak. It is similar to fusion.
There are newer bands and I'm sure many new bands have taken the music further, although I can think of only Dream Theater, Symphony X, and prog-metal bands like that.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Yes, the question is more do you play or know Progressive music, than are you a progressive drummer.

synergy

I would say that as a general rule- If you have to ask then you are probably not a progressive drummer!

Same with being cool, Bonham, James Dean, Eastwood- they never asked if they were cool- they just were (are)

dairyairman

Platinum Member
some other modern prog or prog-ish bands are messhugah, opeth, and porcupine tree. i also think bands like dillinger escape plan and the mars volta could be considered progressive.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Yes, the question is more do you play or know Progressive music, than are you a progressive drummer.
This one!!!

They're basically letting you know what genre' of music they'll be playing. Much like a jazz band seeking a jazz drummer as opposed to a rock drummer etc.

If you're not into the music or style, then I'd suggest you're better served either walking away or immersing yourself in some of the bands the guys here have mentioned and see if you can handle the style.

Ian

Silver Member
I support a lot of "progressive" issues, making me a "progressive" drummer.

Can only count to six, though.

Now where's that slave pedal and those 72 splash cymbals...

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
They want to know if you can keep up with lots of time changes and odd time sigs.

Chances are they'll want you to have a fairly big kit and double kick pedal as well.

"Progressive" is a bit of a misnomer, though. Truly progressive drummers (apart from Ian :) are those with innovative new approaches to playing rather than being able to technically cut it in music that was considered unusual years ago.

BassDriver

Silver Member
i want to join a band and some people have asked me to join if i was a progressive drummer and i dont have a clue as to what that is, can anyone tell me?
"Progressive" is a general term. It can be put before a music style to denote that the style makes use of heavily technical musicianship, breaking from the normal "rules" of the said style (prog rock distanced itself from mainstream rock), often using unusual musical influences, most of the time this is all combined with; odd time signatures strange chord structures, and odd musical scales (ie. not the western equal temperament system).

Examples of progressive or styles along those lines:

Prog Jazz
Prog Metal
Prog Rock
Free Jazz
Avant garde *insert style*
Art Rock (controversial...)
Power Metal

Acts under this/these labels:

Tool (makes you want to sit in a corner and meditate, is awesome...............)
Meshuggah (my head just exploded from its brutality)
Dream Theater (need I say any more)
Rush (awesome)
Queen (controversial...the prog rock before prog rock)
Deep Purple (Proggy as hell)
Genesis (controversial)
Electric Light Orchestra (again controversial)
Dragon Force (yes, they have an epic guitar hero song)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
To get a handle on what prog is about and its sub-genres try http://www.progarchives.com. They dig right into it with a lot of reviews by fans.

The lines can be pretty blurred between prog and non-prog but if someone asks you if you play prog drums, they mean flexible technique that can handle time changes and odd time sigs, plus you have some showy chops and can keep things very tight. I can't see a request for a "progressive drummer" meaning anything else. An impressive kit would probably go down well too, although I've seen the guy in Van Der Graf Generator use a fairly regular setup.

If a drummer aditioning for a prog band doesn't have the above qualities I'd expect them to be beaten for the role by someone who does.

The hard bit with prog, apart from testing the memory cells, is gettting those stops spot on and then launching right into the next passage an establishing the momentum immediately.

Last edited: