How do I get out of the "drumming blues"?

philrudd

John Lennon said (paraphrasing) Artists have to breathe out (composing, playing) and breathe in (sit back and observe, absorb what's currently happening). Don't ever beat yourself up for not practicing drums. If you don't feel like practicing, just don't. Do something that inspires you. When you WANT to play the drums next time....that's when you need to play. It's all really OK.

Feeling guilty and beating yourself up is bad for you. Just sidestep all those counter-productive thoughts and give yourself permission to feel good about not being in the mood to play. Inspiration often comes far away from the drums. You are the Master and the drums are the slave. You can treat them however you please. They will never complain, they will never get mad, and they will always be there at your beck and call.

And hey, if you don't feel like becking or calling...maybe you just need to take some time to breathe in.
Good stuff, Larry!

...and this makes 20 characters.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
With others... I'm in a pretty serious band... I think that's part of what contributes to me going through these weird funks... I love my band a ton... We only practice once a week on Sunday, but our practice studio is an hour and a half away, and I get pretty tired of Sunday's seemingly constant cycle of "tear down, set up, tear down"... And when I get home from school on Monday I'm usually to lazy or tired to set up my kit AGAIN so I just don't play lol....

I probably sound like a really whiny little teen drummer who gets tired quickly of lugging around drums... Lol... I promise that's not the case, I just get lazy on days after 6+ hours of drive 1.5 hours, set up, play, tear down, drive again, and load back into my garage...

Maybe I just have to grow up and accept the fact that this is probably what the life of a lot of you professional players looks like x)

Or buy another kit to keep set up in my garage at all times... Haha
It sounds like you need minions. I have them. And consequently, they're all teen-age girls ;)

I don't mean that in a bad way - that's just how it turned out this year with my gig with the high school show choirs. But it does help to have one complete set that I leave for them to move around, and anything important, I have my two pro sets to choose from. Maybe you need more stuff ;)

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Maybe you need more stuff ;)
This. Or less. I know a few folks who show up with a snare, kick, one tom, hat and one or two cymbals. The gig has to be worth it for them to bring a 4 piece or larger kit. Same with rehearsals. If you can't have a second kit to leave at the rehearsal place (and assuming you can trust leaving it there, then take the minimum necessary to play the song. And I don't mean copping every extended fill in a prog rock song, but enough to play the beat and do some fills as required. Some of these folks I refer to say that they are trying to learn to be more creative and less drums forces them to do that. I think that they just don't like hauling a full kit in for a $50 gig when it's not absolutely necessary. These are journeymen players doing 5-8gigs a week (lots of double headers on weekends). They quickly learn what is needed and what is extraneous.

TheDrumster

I think a lot of musicians I know get "the blues" from time to time when they compare themselves with others who they feel are better than they are. If your goal is to be THE BEST, you will always be disappointed. However, if your goal is to be the best YOU can be, that is an achievable goal.

On those days when my playing is not at my personal best, I look at it as a necessary step in my progress to achieve a new, higher plateau. Usually within a few days (with practice)
I am able to play those things I struggled with and my temporary "blues" are a thing of the past.

It's a cycle - temporary disappointment, perseverance, temporary elation.

Last edited:

johnnylaw

Set up a different rig at home. Example: Place hi hat pedal under opposite foot, use brushes on the snare, and just any one cymbal that is NOT your ride. No toms, no bass. Play along with a recording that in not your band's music, or, with a metronome.

Sometimes I look up rudiments with which I am unfamiliar and just work on those for an hour. Use a practice pad even.

Or, just play snare stickings you already know while continuously varying your grip from French through German and back again, over and over.

Is it music? Well, yes and no. Is it drumming? Well, yes and no. Is it different? Well, yes and no. Is it useful? Well, yes.

I know I love getting back to the kit after these sorts of tangents.

Cheers!

CRS556

I love drumming.

Like absolutely love it.

But at times I go through these weird phases where I don't really feel like practicing, playing, or putting in any work to make myself a better player...

Do you guys ever experience these strange drumming durations of limbo?...

If so, do any of you have any tips on how to snap out of a weird phase like this and renews drive to work hard?..

Jacob G.
Buy a new cymbal or something. I feel like getting new gear always gets me pumped to play.