how do i become a drummer

bud7h4

Silver Member
Hi Nick! The drum sound in the first video is absolutely fantastic.

It's good to see that your son is reading. I wish I had learned to read early instead of waiting so long.

You seem to be playing very softly, I assume to keep the volume low, but I would still play just a little bit harder in order to maintain a feel for the groove and fills.

Good drumming for only playing since last summer. You both seem to have natural musical ability.

beatdat

It's good to see that your son is reading. I wish I had learned to read early instead of waiting so long.

You seem to be playing very softly, I assume to keep the volume low, but I would still play just a little bit harder in order to maintain a feel for the groove and fills.

Good drumming for only playing since last summer. You both seem to have natural musical ability.
Came here to say just that, and agree with everything else bud74h said.

Drums aren't delicate, so don't be timid. There's a difference between laying into a kit and bashing it. Good thing neither you nor your son are doing the latter. If anything, watch your son - he's playing it with more intention than you are.

But, it looks like your son could be moving his right elbow a bit more - he looks a bit stiff there. Think of the movement like cracking a whip. You should get some really good advice here in that regard, so listen to it.

Either way, good stuff. Keep it up.

nick_g

Thanks for your feedback and recommendation!
He is also trying to take drum music from other songs by ear.
Not everything works out but there are first successes... I'm planning to share some his works :)

nick_g

Came here to say just that, and agree with everything else bud74h said.

Drums aren't delicate, so don't be timid. There's a difference between laying into a kit and bashing it. Good thing neither you nor your son are doing the latter. If anything, watch your son - he's playing it with more intention than you are.

But, it looks like your son could be moving his right elbow a bit more - he looks a bit stiff there. Think of the movement like cracking a whip. You should get some really good advice here in that regard, so listen to it.

Either way, good stuff. Keep it up.
Thanks a lot for feedback! I passed your recommendations to my son and he already took them into account :) Hope in next work we will see works :)