How difficult to add a rack tom?

HenrySpencer

Hi, noob question here. My son is primarily a guitarist, but has been having fun messing around with a low quality kit we have in our basement. I’d like to upgrade him to something of a bit better quality. I found a Ludwig Element 4-piece set that seems to be in great shape and a good deal—I wondering how difficult it would be to add a rack Tom to make it a 5 piece kit. I’ve included a picture of the current mount here.

The other option for us would be a 5-piece Pearl Forum in similar condition for the same price. But this doesn’t seem to be quite as nice as the Ludwig kit. Any advice? Thanks!C4E0EFB7-CDF3-4F6E-AAB0-6CBFCEA3CE01.jpeg

MrPockets

Gold Member
I assume the other rod is just hanging there, so you could just buy another tom with a mount that fits the rod.

KEEF

Thanks for your reply! There’s no second rod. There is a swiveling ball-mount for the existing tom, then just an empty clamp that appears to hold a (nonexistent) vertical rod. I can’t figure out what hardware is necessary to connect to a tom like this one: https://reverb.com/item/10437977-ludwig-element-evolution-9x12-rack-tom-2018-white-sparkle
Just buy another swiveling ball arm - it goes in that 'empty clamp' hole.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Best way to go would be get the Ludwig Atlas double tom holder. Yeah .... it's $100. But, if later down the road, you ever sell the kit .... it's a legit 5 pc. kit. I don't even see the single tom mount you have on there listed anywhere. Closest I could find is the PM0048 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PM0048--ludwig-pm0048-atlas-series-single-tom-clamp?&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3248788194&product_id=PM0048&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Drums%20&%20Percussion&adgroup=Drums%20&%20Percussion%20-%20Drum%20Hardware&placement=google&creative=203982059425&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAiA_f3uBRAmEiwAzPuaM9p-wrdqyvCJUVEIB7iCBfKz6k9fX497fe-FEma6Um1Tf21Dcp1LvBoC0icQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ludwig only shows the PM0048 and the Atlas Pro LAP2985MT for single tom holders. Perhaps they no longer use/make the single tom holder you currently have. In that case you could always sell it off, to help offset the price of the double tom holder.

Cheapest route .... get a Gibraltar L arm tom mount and use your existing empty accessory clamp.

Looks like that part (your single tom holder) was used on the Breakbeats kit, also. The clamp side could be used to hold the ride cymbal arm.

Attachments

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Hi, noob question here. My son is primarily a guitarist, but has been having fun messing around with a low quality kit we have in our basement. I’d like to upgrade him to something of a bit better quality. I found a Ludwig Element 4-piece set that seems to be in great shape and a good deal—I wondering how difficult it would be to add a rack Tom to make it a 5 piece kit. I’ve included a picture of the current mount here.

The other option for us would be a 5-piece Pearl Forum in similar condition for the same price. But this doesn’t seem to be quite as nice as the Ludwig kit. Any advice? Thanks!View attachment 88680
Henry, can you give us the size of the down-pipe on that holder? One inch? 7/8 inch? It'll make it easier to locate a double tom mount if Ludwig doesn't offer it anymore. Somebody will have them - just need to know the pipe size.

GeeDeeEmm

KEEF

No empty hole on this mount, Keef - it's a single Tom mount. But the solution is easy, OP - simply swap out your current single Tom holder for a double. A double is readily available from Ludwig or Gibraltar. I'm away from home now, but I'll be happy to find the model number for you later..
My apologies - didn't look at the photo closely enough! DOH! 🥴

HenrySpencer

Thanks for the replies, all—this is all quite helpful! I’m not sure of the size of the existing down pipe, as I didn’t think to measure it while looking at the set from a craigslist seller. Good to know that there are hardware options—I didn’t realize that Gibraltar even existed. I’m a bit wary of the Ludwig Atlas route as I’m looking at $100 for the second tom and then another $100 for the holder, which is suddenly making the set seem like not such a good deal anymore. In any event, you’ve all given me a lot to consider as we continue the search. Thanks again!

Mongrel

Silver Member
Thanks for the replies, all—this is all quite helpful! I’m not sure of the size of the existing down pipe, as I didn’t think to measure it while looking at the set from a craigslist seller. Good to know that there are hardware options—I didn’t realize that Gibraltar even existed. I’m a bit wary of the Ludwig Atlas route as I’m looking at $100 for the second tom and then another $100 for the holder, which is suddenly making the set seem like not such a good deal anymore. In any event, you’ve all given me a lot to consider as we continue the search. Thanks again!
You can solve your problem for $30 by buying just a single tom holder that will fit into your existing tom mount...

Here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC-BCLR-L--gibraltar-clam-style-l-rod-tom-holder-12.7mm-l-rod

HenrySpencer

Mongrel

Silver Member
Hey Mongrel—thanks for this link. So in this case, the down tube would just clamp into the empty side of the single tom holder, that is, the opposite side of the existing ball joint? Seems like a good fix if that would work.
EXACTLY...

Just open up that clamp, slide the downtube into it, tighten down evenly on both sides, and slide the "memory lock" into position to keep it from sliding.

That clamp will have no issues carrying the weight and stress of a second tom. Much cheaper alternative to replacing the whole assembly with a double tom mount-and you won't have extra 'stuff' laying around.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
EXACTLY...

Just open up that clamp, slide the downtube into it, tighten down evenly on both sides, and slide the "memory lock" into position to keep it from sliding.

That clamp will have no issues carrying the weight and stress of a second tom. Much cheaper alternative to replacing the whole assembly with a double tom mount-and you won't have extra 'stuff' laying around.
Won't work, Mongrel. Keep in mind that the single tom holder you specified will be approximately four inches taller than the other once it's been installed in the empty hole. That's going to translate into one tom mounting four inches taller than the other. I have a single mount and extra mounting arm just like those, and there is not enough length on the original L-rod to compensate for the difference in height.

GeeDeeEmm

Mongrel

Silver Member
Won't work, Mongrel. Keep in mind that the single tom holder you specified will be approximately four inches taller than the other once it's been installed in the empty hole. That's going to translate into one tom mounting four inches taller than the other. I have a single mount and extra mounting arm just like those, and there is not enough length on the original L-rod to compensate for the difference in height.

GeeDeeEmm
Not even if you lower the down rod into the bass drum receiver and adjust the L arms accordingly-one up and one down?

If not, there is always this unit: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PM0048--ludwig-pm0048-atlas-series-single-tom-clamp?&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3248788194&product_id=PM0048&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Drums%20&%20Percussion&adgroup=Drums%20&%20Percussion%20-%20Drum%20Hardware&placement=google&creative=203982059425&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAiA_f3uBRAmEiwAzPuaM9p-wrdqyvCJUVEIB7iCBfKz6k9fX497fe-FEma6Um1Tf21Dcp1LvBoC0icQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That should put the high tom holder only an inch or inch and a half below the lower tom holder.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
The last model you noted will work. But, it's still at a price that will easily purchase a used double tom mount that will eliminate all the jury-rigging.

It's fun trying to work out all these hardware options, isn't it? We are blessed to live in a time where there seems to be a clamp or an adaptor for anything that our minds can conceive. I love it.

GeeDeeEmm

Mongrel

Silver Member
The last model you noted will work. But, it's still at a price that will easily purchase a used double tom mount that will eliminate all the jury-rigging.

It's fun trying to work out all these hardware options, isn't it? We are blessed to live in a time where there seems to be a clamp or an adaptor for anything that our minds can conceive. I love it.

GeeDeeEmm
Problem is...I'm a Tama guy...so I don't have these problems!!! lol

Tama has so many options for mounts it's impossible not to trip over them.

Not familiar with Ludwig, just trying to help. So THANKS for calling out the issues with my suggestion. I was just trying to save the guy $70. It isn't easy for a newbie to track down the used stuff and know whether it will work etc. But yea, an eBay Ludwig double tom holder would be the way to go.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I love Tama's current gear offerings and have always wanted to try a Starclassic kit in one form or another, but I never have. I can remember when I still worked in a music store unboxing the first Starclassic kit that we received. I told my co-worker, "Tama has turned a corner in quality." And they sure have. I knew the second I handled that SC kit that a new Tama was emerging, and they have not disappointed.

GeeDeeEmm